Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Deadstiffcatt
Deadstiffcatt
Big Island, Hawaii
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 55
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 24
Newest Members
Hedgehog65, NDarwin, Bas classic bikes, lojo, Doug McLaren
12,333 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
9 members (steve-d, Psychopasta, Steve Erickson, Stuart Kirk, C.B.S, Magnetoman, Wilfred, gavin eisler, GrandPaul), 21 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,682
Posts782,987
Members12,333
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Gordon Gray, Hillbilly bike, Howard Inough, Jon W. Whitley
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#859224 09/23/2021 11:23 PM
by DPO
DPO
So if you work for a prominent company making $220,000 per year in the state of Georgia, and a co-worker causes you to have an accident on the job that renders you unable to do your job, guess what? It’s against the State law to sue your employer, so now you fall under the State workers compensation program. This State LAW says that the “PROGRAM” will pay $675 per week for 400 weeks MAXIMUM. That’s 270,000 that is the MAXIMUM benefit, and you get NOTHING MORE. In 7.5 years (400 weeks), at $220k per year, you WOULD have made over $1.5M, IF your bonehead co-worker wouldn’t have caused your injury. I don’t care WHAT all those “hurt on the job attorneys” brag about….You will NEVER get over $270K in Georgia….You go from $220K to just under $40K for 7.5 years….At least that’s what I’m being told……
Liked Replies
#859626 Sep 29th a 04:51 PM
by edunham
edunham
"Right to work" simply refers to whether an employee can be forced to join a union, it does not refer to the workers compensation laws that DPO is referring to. Workers Compensation laws originally came about because there was a perception that unsafe conditions and worker injuries were not adequately treated by regular courts. The thought was that regular courts took too long, were expensive and the result was unsure. Hence the Workers Compensation laws were enacted which have schedules for injury payment, truncated legal procedures and a shorter time for resolution. They typically favor the employee. Because the insurance payments to make the participation work require full participation, the process is the sole remedy that an employee has against the employer absent certain circumstances. Typically, an injured employee that feels they have not been adequately compensated looks for another target to sue, such as the equipment manufacturer, if there was equipment involved, or a third party if there was one involved. Whether DPO can sue his co-worker depends on the law of Georgia. Typically, he would not be able to unless the co-worker acted deliberately or maliciously.
By the way, I am neither endorsing nor condemning the Workers Compensation system. I am just pointing out what it is.

Ed from NJ
2 members like this
#859273 Sep 24th a 11:04 AM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
I’ve watched the video of DPO’s fall…….several times. It’s very sobering.
It clearly shows who’s at fault and it certainly wasn’t DPO. He’s actually very lucky to be alive.

When I first heard about him “falling off a ladder” I had a completely different picture of it in my mind. It was actually the ladder/walkway/steps you use to enter the aircraft. Not your homeowners 6’ step ladder.

It’s the kind of video you’d use as an “attention step” before a safety meeting.

If I was a member of a jury considering the case……somebody would have to pay.

Gordon.
1 member likes this
#859493 Sep 27th a 02:23 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
I would be curious to know if OSHA was involved and what their findings might be.
1 member likes this
#859618 Sep 29th a 02:08 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by DPO
So if you work for a prominent company making $220,000 per year in the state of Georgia……

$220,000 a year?
Attached Images
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com