Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
MikeJ
MikeJ
San Mateo, CA USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
11 members (John Harvey, Spitfire Ken, Magnetoman, triton thrasher, konon, M.Gunderson, Stuart Kirk, Steve Highfield, Tridentman, AngloBike, Edalfa), 41 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
desco
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#859222 09/23/2021 11:02 PM
by BAinLA
BAinLA
Is this about right? I lost my workshop manual which disappeared from my desktop. I am reading different figures from different sources. I had the needle off of the Smiths speedo so I need to get it right. Stock tires and sprockets, 5 spd '72 Tiger.

Second subject; On the freeways here (Lost Angeles) cruising at 4000 RPM in the "slow lane" (right-most) will still get you run off the road or rear-ended by a truck not to mention that the right lane is usually the most torn up from the heavy truck traffic. You also deal with people getting on and off at various speeds. To cruise in a "faster" lane I would need to sustain an RPM of more like 4500-4600+. This just doesn't feel right to me. I'm thinking that these engines were not designed for this. I remember the 60's-70's and I still drive a '69 GMC with a Chevy 350 (5.7L). Back then one would only hold an engine at 4000 if it was a temporary duration climbing a hill pulling a trailer (caravan?) or something or on a bike, just a short spurt of speed for some reason.Piston speed seems to be a major factor in engine wear. I try to avoid freeways but what do you guys think about holding 4600 RPM on a 49 year old Triumph with 21K miles on the odo. -Brian
Liked Replies
#859337 Sep 24th a 07:02 PM
by AngloBike
AngloBike
Bonnevilles weren't made to chug around at below 3k rpm

Although many bikes are not exactly young, they are probably better looked after now than 10 years after being made.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com