Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
MikeJ
MikeJ
San Mateo, CA USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
11 members (KevRasen, desco, D.Bachtel, wilksville, John Harvey, Spitfire Ken, Magnetoman, triton thrasher, konon, M.Gunderson, Stuart Kirk), 44 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, Beach
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Florida BSA
Florida BSA
Hi All,

1972 BSA B50 - torn apart, but having issue getting painted in my somewhat rural area of Florida.

Original was purple, but I am trying to repaint something close to original for 1971 - Flamboyant Red with 1971 stripes, etc.

My painter says he has two options - one is to source paint in Flamboyant Red from RS Bike in the UK, or, find a suitable match using PPG Deltron system paints. He far prefers the PPG as he is proficient in their use.

Given this will NOT be a show bike, can anyone provide any ideas on how to get close to Flamboyant Red using the PPG Deltron?

I really need to get past this with the painter - I don't have an option for getting this done locally.

Thanks!
Liked Replies
by kommando
kommando
Why not use House of Kolors who still do the coloured varnish over silver of gold base.
1 member likes this
by BSA_WM20
BSA_WM20
Funny
According to the factory information the blues were supposed to be over a silver base & the reds over a gold base but I am yet to come across anything over gold
1 member likes this
by kommando
kommando
Originally Posted by Florida BSA
It's always hard to tell with various lighting, but Beach's red covers are a bit darker than what I wanted, but again, lighting ...

If silver base then to darken is simply more coats of the red? But, in theory it will be "brighter red?"

No not quite, more coats will deepen/darken the red and less of the base will come through, my last tank was sprayed with 2 many coats and came out a deep red. Kept it as is as it does look good but the base colour of gold does not show as well in sunlight as it would with less coats so less brightness with more coats.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com