Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
MikeJ
MikeJ
San Mateo, CA USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
9 members (Tridentman, Lannis, trevinoz, L.A.B., Chris the camper., BeezaBryan, Hugh Jörgen, Morgan aka admin, desco), 47 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, gavin eisler, Gordon Gray, JER.Hill, RobJP
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Keith Miller
Keith Miller
Went out on the Spitfire today and when coming home had to call into the nearest petrol station for fuel, the station only sold the new E10 fuel and it was to far to go to the next station, put a gallon in and set off home. A couple of miles down the road the bike seemed to loose a bit of power and then started to splutter. Stopped by the side of the road and the engine just stopped. Started ok but wouldn't idle continued home with the engine spluttering and not idling when coming to a halt. Got home and checked the ignition, timing, carbs etc. Every thing looked ok. emptied the tank and put some good old non E10 in. Started the bike and the idle was ok, no spluttering and power back to normal.

The moral of the story is to ensure you don't get low on fuel and stay away from E10, it might get you home but then again it might not.

Keith.

ps. Dont have a Fibreglass tank on now, that dissolved 3 years ago with the E5 petrol,
Liked Replies
by NickL
NickL
These places still use Leaded fuel, could be worth moving there,

1 Algeria
2 Iraq
3 Yemen
4 Myanmar
5 North Korea
6 Afghanistan
1 member likes this
by Magnetoman
Magnetoman
Originally Posted by gunner
If you google it, you will find plenty of YouTube video's on how to remove ethanol from petrol,.
The ethanol is needed to to give the fuel the octane it has. Remove the ethanol and put a hole in your piston.

Just live with the E10. After changing the fuel lines, the "only" problem it has is requiring the float bowl to be drained. Other than that, it's not bad stuff, just different than Pb-free gasoline, which in turn was different than leaded gasoline. Each time the fuel changes you'd think it was the end of world.
1 member likes this
by Andy Higham
Andy Higham
It makes me chuckle.
"I'm not putting that E5/E10 [***] near my brit bike"
"I need E85 for my British race bike"
Going back to the original post, a spitfire should really be using super unleaded 97/98 RON, std E5/E10 petrol is only 95 RON
1 member likes this
by Tridentman
Tridentman
+1 with MMan.
I have been running E10 in most of my bikes for many years.
I use Tygon fuel line and I add Stabil (a stabiliser) in the recommended dosage rate and have had no problems.
This includes leaving the bikes over the winter without doing anything (no draining etc).
The only exceptions are a couple of bikes with fibreglass tanks where I use AVGAS.
IMHO a lot of the problems ascribed to ethanol are in fact due to other problems.
1 member likes this
by Magnetoman
Magnetoman
Originally Posted by Keith Miller
stay away from E10,
I'll go out on a limb and say the problem you had has nothing to do with E10.

Older fuel line is incompatible with ethanol and will develop a thick sticky coating if left in contact with it. Because of this, old lines need to be replaced with SAE 30R7, LP-1200 Tygon, or one of several other ethanol-resistant lines on the market. Also, as the E10 fuel level drops in a carburetor due to evaporation a thin varnish skin will develop that blocks the pilot jet, so any motorcycle that will sit for more than a week needs to have its float bowl drained.

The above two issues with E10 certainly are hassles, but they are the only two hassles I personally have experienced in having used E10 fuels in old and modern motorcycles over the past 20 or so years. Complaining about E10 is popular, so I don't expect anything I write will change that, but in my 20 years of experience with it, I've found it works just like "real" gasoline.
1 member likes this
by John Healy
John Healy
A lot of you know Dick Harris from upstate New York. He is a rider. He has three rides. Two Bonnevilles, one with a 270 crankshaft, and Daytona. Since he retired some 20 years ago he put lots of miles on these bikes. He would routinely put 50 to 100 miles on one of teh bikes nearly every day.

He also crossed the country several times to attend the TIOC rally near Santa Barbara, looped back through through Salt lake to attend the Speed Trials and would visit Big D in Dallas on the trip back to New York. One year I left him at the edge of Death Valley on a mid-day 100°F.

This using the gasoline that was available where he was. Those that are friendly with Dick know him for having a very dry demeanor. He is short on embellishing adverbs. A couple years ago when the subject of gasoline came up at a seminar at the National Triumph Rally in Pennsylvania what he did when faced with E10. His answer was short and to the point, "I use it!"

Yes, Dick was an accomplished rider, and tuner. You can be sure the bikw was in proper tune, and he never lugged the engine.
1 member likes this
by BSA_WM20
BSA_WM20
The only real problem with E 10 is not using the machine it is in.
As MM already noted
After that you have the seasonal variation in fuels.
So jet get into the habit of turning the fuel taps off & run the carb dry if the bike is not going to be used for more than a few weeks.
If you are really anal, remove the drain plugs on concentrics
If you are more anal drain your tank as well & use the fuel in your 4 wheeler .
The biggest problem is water adsorbtion in regions that have heavy dew so the air in the tank / carb condenses water which gets adsorbed by the ethanol which then drops out of solution..
When this happens you end up with a brew that eats zinc at a rate of knots .
Every season I end up replacing a dozen or so mower carbs that had bowls full of a creamy belmonge , no zinc plating left on the steel float bowls and some times pits in the zinc carb bodies themselves.
The owners who turn off their fuel taps & run the carb dry do not suffer the same problems
And the commercial customers who mow all year round never have the same problem .

So we come back to the same old story .
If you want your bike to run well, not to wet sump or suffer stiction on the slide or have e10 derrived corrosion
Get yer gear on and ride the bloody thing more often or mount it on a plinth & put it in a glass box .
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com