Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Boomer
Boomer
Orygone
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 84
NickL 69
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 23
Newest Members
bradders, tizianouk, Breeze, FORTYTWO, TomV
11,929 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Shane in Oz, quinten), 17 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Chip H, gavin eisler, GrandPaul
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Nickjaxe
Nickjaxe
Only been riding bikes around 5 years but 68 year old.

Can somebody explain what and why do tank slappers happen.....best way to deal with them if one does start...
Liked Replies
by raf940
raf940
thar i was,,,,,,,,,,,,17 years old on my first 'big bike' a 250 yamaha catalina just had to open it up got into a gollywobble at about 70mph (worn out steering head bearings and half-bald tires but what the hell i was invincible)...scared me so bad i can still recall it to this day....a few months ;later a dump truck made a left turn in front of me and i Tboned it at about 40mph my first ambulance ride broken leg and whole body felt like i had jumped off a 3 story building..bike was rebuilt by local yamaha shop into a street tracker look......that's my yarn and i am sticking with it....,
1 member likes this
by John Healy
John Healy
There is a harrowing video on youtube of test riders putting bikes into high speed tank slippers and getting out of them. The factory was VERY aware of the problem with triples going into high speed wobbles due to the offset engine and some front tires. There are things you can do!
1 member likes this
by Irish Swede
Irish Swede
I am surprised that more of this doesn't happen to those Harley riders with their "laid back - feet forward - high bars" riding positions.
Less weight over the front wheel appears to invite this process.

OR, does the weight of the Harley rider's big beer gut neutralize the problem?

Seriously, this makes using LOW bars a good idea.
1 member likes this
by Andy Higham
Andy Higham
Tank slappers can be caused by a few things.
Unevenly worn tyres, usually squared off
Mis matched tyres
Badly adjusted head race bearings
Worn wheel bearings
Worn swing arm bearings

Over tight steering damper or over tight head race bearings can also cause a less violent weaving
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com