Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
kevin
kevin
ohio, usa
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
8 members (Gary Caines, L.A.B., gavin eisler, wilksville, John Harvey, Hugh Jörgen, pidjones, KevRasen), 32 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, MikeG, NickL
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#857445 09/01/2021 10:00 AM
by Hillbilly bike
Hillbilly bike
My A10 build from a pile of unrelated parts has been on the road for a few months. It has a persistent rocker box oil leak, later alloy head. Rocker boxes have been on an off many times. Two different heads and two rocker boxes.All parts have been checked for fit using machinist straight edge and .001 feeler gauge between the joints. Paper type gaskets, sealer only and .028 thick soft copper gaskets...All leaked from the same areas.
Then on the A10 website a few suggested the top mount secured to the rocker hold down bolts can cause fretting between the head and box causing leaks. I leave off the top mount, annealed copper gaskets....No Leaks!!.....
But....this is a smooth running engine for a 650 twin.... leaving off the mount has made a noticeable increase in engine vibration....
So...any suggestions on how to fix this problem..?
Liked Replies
#857455 Sep 1st a 01:09 PM
by Tridentman
Tridentman
Hi Tony— nothing very helpful to add I am afraid but—-
Back in the day I had two A10s— both with sidecars and both had a hard life.
Now I have a A7 Shooting Star— same basic design as the A10.
Getting a good seal at that point is difficult as you have to make sure that the tops of the pushrods are properly engaged in the rockers.
BSA made a special tool— a comb— to do this but I have never had much success with this.
I have long fingers and could put a finger in the rocker box while standing astride the bike and feel the pushrod tops into position as I lowered the rocker box into position.
IME it is easy to disturb the rocker box gasket sealant and the gasket itself while getting the pushrods into the rocker ends.
I have always used paper gaskets with a smear of Hylomar and achieved good oil tight joints.
HTH
1 member likes this
#857552 Sep 2nd a 08:42 PM
by Hillbilly bike
Hillbilly bike
Ok I will, the sample gaskets and cover note is in the mail box
1 member likes this
#860675 Oct 13th a 02:47 PM
by Hillbilly bike
Hillbilly bike
I got the Yamaha bonded swingarm bushing mentioned above , gonna go that route. I have thought about and agree the stock top mount is a flimsy piece of crap and not intended to be a secure rigid mount... Took a ride yesterday and ran the engine hard ...Seemed to leak less oil than usual, bike must be scared of a beating...lol
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com