Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
MikeJ
MikeJ
San Mateo, CA USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
11 members (KevRasen, desco, D.Bachtel, wilksville, John Harvey, Spitfire Ken, Magnetoman, triton thrasher, konon, M.Gunderson, Stuart Kirk), 44 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
BSA_WM20, Gordon Gray, GrandPaul, Jon W. Whitley, oilyamerican
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#856122 08/14/2021 5:01 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
To learn something new.

Past month or so I added a couple of tools to the box that I should have had already but just "got by" without them.

I wanted to let you guys know ( you know who you are) that we are listening and you're willingness to share doesn't go unappreciated.

How many times have i read "GOOD battery"? Dozens at least. Well........after someone ( I looked for that reply but couldn't find it) mentioned how little a battery load tester actually cost......I got one.

6 batteries here in the shop. I knew one was on it's way out but the others were okay as far as I knew (only checked DC voltage). I ended up recycling 4 batteries after testing. I do have a couple of good batteries to compare the tests to and did them several times.

I'm switching over to EI on my bikes and I need to pay better attention to the batteries in them.

Never get to old to learn something new.

Gordon
Liked Replies
#856131 Aug 14th a 07:19 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
I've tested thousands of batteries over the years at work. When I first started out all we had was the "toaster oven" load tester that measured direct voltage and voltage drop when the load was applied. In later years we got the fancy electronic testers that measure cold cranking amps, voltage, and percent of charge. I can't tell you how many times I've tested a battery with the new testers that check out good, only to have them come back in a day or two stone dead. Charge them up and use the old toaster oven tester and you get an immeadiate NFG reading even though the new fangled testers say it's OK.. You can't beat analog/mechanical IMHO.
2 members like this
#856134 Aug 14th a 08:06 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Originally Posted by oilyamerican
EI units are nice, but some were/are more supply voltage sensitive than others.
I'm curious as to what EI brand you've decided on or are considering ?

Boyer......because of the man that stands behind them.

I've probably done 90-95% of all my riding on points systems. I first used EI on my trials bike back around 2000. Only Brit road bike was the C25 I put together for the Moto Giro USA. OOPS.....forgot the B50 but I haven't done a lot of miles on it.

I trust points.......but I'm getting lazy in my old age and my eyes aren't what they used to be either.

Gordon
Attached Images
2 members like this
#856155 Aug 15th a 06:26 AM
by BSA_WM20
BSA_WM20
Having made batteries I for one realize just how difficult reliable battery testing is.
When Sims introduced the maintenance free Besco batteries , the assembly package came with a mile of assorted electrical testers
And many of them were done before the battery was assembled.
However there were so many warranty claims they resurected to old carbon pile load tester and applied this to every battery .
NO more warranty claims .
And we spent better than a month being taught how t calibrate & use the new fancy dancy computer controlled testing gear
So I am big fan of carbon pile ( Toasters) although if you leave them on for too long on modern ultra thin plate batteries you can cause the plates to warp.
1 member likes this
#856129 Aug 14th a 06:37 PM
by oilyamerican
oilyamerican
EI units are nice, but some were/are more supply voltage sensitive than others.
I'm curious as to what EI brand you've decided on or are considering ?
1 member likes this
#856123 Aug 14th a 05:10 PM
by Deadstiffcatt
Deadstiffcatt
You've been points all these years?
1 member likes this
#856170 Aug 15th a 01:44 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by oilyamerican
I'm curious as to what these older testers look like.
Are they similar to this one ?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/yCsAAOSwbFdhEpaD/s-l1600.jpg

Yes, that's exactly the one. I bought one twenty years ago and it has saved me UNTOLD hours of misdiagnosing electrical problems on bikes and cars.

A battery cannot fool one of those things. It might read 12.7 volts at rest all day long, and people say "Oh, it's good, I tested it with a voltmeter", and then it dies as soon as a 30-amp load is connected across it.

A battery is one of the most fragile and failure-prone components on a motorcycle, but for some reason people think that they are unlikely to fail, that if they look good they must work good, if it is new or new-ish, it can't be bad, and that if a 12 volt battery reads 12 volts it must be a good one, when in fact a battery that reads 12 volts is as dead as Stonewall Jackson's horse.

I don't know how many times I've said "Load Test The Battery First", and folks don't do it, and a week later it turns out to be the battery.

If you're doing your own work, GET ONE!

Lannis
1 member likes this
#856190 Aug 15th a 09:17 PM
by Tridentman
Tridentman
Gordon—. I think that I plead guilty to having recommended a battery load tester a couple of months ago.
I bought one several years ago and have found it to be extremely useful.
It has certainly paid for itself several times over.
I think the most useful aspect of it is that you can test battery in just a couple of minutes and know either that it is usable or fit only for the trash.
IMHO part of the camaraderie of Brit bikers is that we share experiences and knowledge— good and bad.
Best of luck with your get together down south.
1 member likes this
#856194 Aug 15th a 10:22 PM
by HughdeMann
HughdeMann
We have a brand new Harbor Freight in town. That tester is in stock, and only 20 bucks. I think I'll get one tomorrow. That should guarantee I have the worlds longest lasting batteries!
1 member likes this
#856234 Aug 16th a 12:22 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
To learn something new.

I'm switching over to EI on my bikes and I need to pay better attention to the batteries in them.

Gordon

A good choice IMHO. A few years back the stator wires on my Norton broke while Bob and I were headed to the TSMR. Somewhere up on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia my lights dimmed out so Bob and I swapped batteries and continued on figuring we would keep doing that till we got to Windys. Never needed to swap out again in about 150 miles thanks to the low voltage draw of a Power Arc EI and keeping the lights off.
1 member likes this
#856298 Aug 17th a 04:51 AM
by bsawood
bsawood
That's What I got
1 member likes this
#856304 Aug 17th a 08:20 AM
by BSA_WM20
BSA_WM20
In the "mine is bigger than yours vein" I have one with a variable load
But yes works a treat particularly when trying to convince some one that the battery on their ride on is deceased.
Before that it was a headlamp sealed beam with the H & L joined together .
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com