Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
North Carolina
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 84
NickL 69
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 23
Newest Members
bradders, tizianouk, Breeze, FORTYTWO, TomV
11,929 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (pidjones, shel, Steve Erickson, blueboat), 18 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
gavin eisler, kommando
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#855982 08/12/2021 2:37 AM
by BAinLA
BAinLA
Lately I've had the bike jump when starting out as though I just dumped the clutch instead of steadily releasing it. Now I find myself very slowly releasing it from stand-still. I did fully lubricate the cable not too long ago but I've never had to baby a clutch like this in my life (11 bikes). This is a set of clutches from MAP with ~1000 miles on them. Clutch components appeared excellent at the time. Haven't changed oil type (20/50 Valvoline Motorcycle oil) Primary shares oil with engine. Is it time to inspect or just learn to use it very slowly and carefully? Is there a known cause for this and is it damaging if left un-handled. Thanks! Brian
Liked Replies
#856047 Aug 12th a 10:52 PM
by quinten
quinten
Originally Posted by BAinLA
Originally Posted by DavidP
I had a similar situation recently. I changed the shock hub rubbers and it's gone now.

Thanks DavidP. I did fail to inspect these when I was in there and I'm sure they are original. Somehow it doesn't make sense that this would cause rapid engagement but I may have a look-see and change these out in the process. -Brian

edit; How difficult was it to change them out? Where did you buy yours?
+1
bad rubbers can cause the cush drive to skew as it compresses .
Rather than just compressing and rebounding , the hub in action , adds a bid of "wonk"
in an area without much room to spare to begin with .
( once the rubbers are taken out )
a really bad cush drive will show gouging on the backing plates
where the spider arms rubs troughs .( hardened metal sliding against hardened metal )
At some point replacing the rubbers isn't good enough .
2 members like this
#856410 Aug 18th a 03:25 PM
by linker48x
linker48x
To rebuild: There are a number of videos and how to's out there on the internet showing you in varying degrees of detail how to rebuild the clutch center. For example, Lunmad has a real helpful video with practical tips on how to do this,
and the lowbrow site covers it, but far less completely. https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/blogs/motorcycle-how-to-guides/triumph-650-clutch-inspection-service and there is a lowbrow movie part 12 at about 5 minutes on Youtube
, but neither Lowbrow video or guide really sheds the practical light on the process that Lunmad does.

Or, if you have the budget, and the rebuild job is not for you, you can just buy a new complete hub. There are lots of places with these for sale, such as in LA near you https://www.classicbritishspares.com/products/triumph-bsa-complete-clutch-hub-assembly

Take a look at all the wear parts and surfaces. Although you said the slots were pristine, you may need a new assembly anyway, once you get in there, depending on how much wear there is on the front and back plates from the spider; after 21,000 miles it all could be worn out. It is worth fixing that wear too, and practically speaking, by the time you buy the plates, maybe the spider, and the rubbers, you may just find buying new is a better alternative, but YRMV.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com