Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
kommando
kommando
Scotland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 77
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 22
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (bsalloyd, BSA_WM20, 2ndchildhood, DJinCA, Robbo6, BrizzoBrit, Mark Z), 23 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
BeezaBryan, Gordon Gray, GrandPaul, henryanthony, Hugh Jörgen, MikeG, Morgan aka admin, NickL, pushrod tom, sammysnail, Stuart Kirk, wadeschields, wilksville
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#855348 08/04/2021 4:16 AM
by scott garland
scott garland
The other day I ran into an old friend and he said are you still ridding bikes? I said ya of course, there is no 12 step program! But at 73 I thought maybe I should look at an end date to this hobby. I have a 55 Triumph Thunderbird and a 68 Triumph TR6R as favorites for the vintage and a 02 Harley Davidson Duce as a longer distance ride. What is the thought out there? When do you rehome your stuff?
Liked Replies
#855376 Aug 4th a 12:42 PM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Still riding thumbsup
3 members like this
#855418 Aug 4th a 07:26 PM
by AngloBike
AngloBike
3 members like this
#855459 Aug 5th a 06:07 AM
by scott garland
scott garland
Good thoughts came from all the replies. I am in pretty good physical condition, no trouble moving bikes around and can get the TR6 in the back of the truck when needed. I enjoy riding in the back two lane roads a lot, not much on freeway around San Diego traffic is too inattentive. All but three of my old riding friends my age stopped riding and another says he is selling is 50 Panhead he has owned since before he went to Nam. That is why I was thinking about packing it in. My riding skill are still good so I think I'll wait a while, maybe when I can't kick start the TR6 while holding a beer I'll rethink the skill set.
3 members like this
#855577 Aug 6th a 08:51 PM
by Twin Pot Phil
Twin Pot Phil
Well I am going to disagree with most of you, a sidecar is the most fun you can have with your clothes on, if you don't like chariots, then you haven't ridden a properly set up one - best way to keep biking, ever.
And you get a free physical work out at the same time, keeps you trim!
3 members like this
#855487 Aug 5th a 05:46 PM
by Hillbilly bike
Hillbilly bike
Things can change just like that, sound of snapping fingers......two years ago I was a vibrant 72 year old...then came a life threatening disease with brutal treatments that has affected my strength and balance.I had to buy a roller starter because I cannot kick my Brit bikes for a cold start. The Ducati 900 comes with the starter, lol .I still ride but not as much..Once I take off on a bike the troubles fade away,I grin and open the throttle of the internal combustion magic carpet ride..
2 members like this
#855578 Aug 6th a 09:04 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by Twin Pot Phil
Well I am going to disagree with most of you, a sidecar is the most fun you can have with your clothes on, if you don't like chariots, then you haven't ridden a properly set up one - best way to keep biking, ever.
And you get a free physical work out at the same time, keeps you trim!

A sidecar's a little different. It's like a motorcycle - it's not really stable at speed, and like a car where you CAN miss a pothole if you do it right.

My plan is to get a sidecar and get my son to learn how to ride it, and when I'm out of driving and riding for good, to take me out in it every once in a while ....

Lannis
2 members like this
#855656 Aug 7th a 07:52 PM
by Twin Pot Phil
Twin Pot Phil
Spot on Nick, my intro was through big Brit twins with anything light on the side.

Back in the day THE best road outfit (IMHO) was a Gold Wing on 16 inch wagon wheels on car tyres with leading links (an outfit without leading links is just plain stupid and very hard work), that thing was a real fast mile eater (had to adjust the angle of the Mk1 Monza to stop being a wing when (very well) over the motorway speed limit (who needs a passenger, really) and it handled like a dream at all speeds (as leading links do).

However these days getting older (now 66) is reducing my need for speed on the UK roads (but not tracks), especially as I know my speed based reactions are not good enough for the number of stupids around these days.
I would love a Merlin outfit with one of the current Jap missile engines in, but anno domini and crowded roads here dictates otherwise (not to mention the money!).
2 members like this
#855722 Aug 8th a 02:19 PM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Originally Posted by NickL
The great thing about race tracks is you're all going the same way and all
on machines of a like type. No intersections etc. Plus most blokes out there
don't want to phone anyone at the time. Safest form of riding.

We might all have been going the same way but not all machines were of a like type.

Had the Box wheel airborne more than once that day beerchug

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

2 members like this
#855422 Aug 4th a 08:19 PM
by Ob1quixote R.I.P.
Ob1quixote R.I.P.
One of my Iron Butt attempts started off with a few hours of moderate rain, at night.
Just about got sucked under a tractor trailer!

Pick your weather well!

Saddlesore 1K shouldnt be too hard.
I made my attempts tougher by using the route of an organized adventure ride event in my mileage.
1st attempt failure started fairly early, didnt make a difference, dropped a bike and holed a case.
Who knew you couldnt buy JB Weld Quick in the middle of the night in Nowhere GA?
2nd attempt would have completed easily without the adventure ride mileage.
The bike, a Suzuki DRZ400 dual sport machine!

After I was hit by a red light runner last October, followed by the cancer thing, I am "healthed out"
Not strong enough these days to ride anything, and you have to be on your toes around here.
Hoping to get back to riding one of these days...
1 member likes this
#855414 Aug 4th a 06:50 PM
by Irish Swede
Irish Swede
One of the great cartoons some years ago in the calendar of Britain's Vintage Motor Cycle Club (VMCC) shows two riders conversing next to their bikes;

The young guy stands next to his vintage 1920's bike, the old guy is next to his new crotch-rocket.

Both are riders. Such is the spirit of our sport.
1 member likes this
#855476 Aug 5th a 02:54 PM
by wadeschields
wadeschields
Ill speak up for Dick Harris... He is in his 80's and has some issue that keep him from coming to the swap meets now but I saw his son at the last Triumph rally in Oley . He said Dick is still riding hard and working on his bikes every week ... Or every day.... Cant remember now.... Maybe Im going senile....

I agree with the previous statement that the less you doing it the worse you will get.... I plan on riding more as I get older.... Hopefully work will stop getting in the way and now it wont be long till I will live where my bikes are full time...
1 member likes this
#855483 Aug 5th a 05:00 PM
by Dibnah
Dibnah
As someone else said, a man has to know his limitations. Reactions certainly deteriorate, as does flexibility, core strength and eyesight. However, experience counts for a lot, as does the ability to avoid street racing and confrontations.

One of my concerns is the risk of heart attack when pushing a u/s motorcycle, so it can be important to have assistance available

Dirt bike riding is probably a good way to get the heart rate up.
1 member likes this
#855395 Aug 4th a 03:43 PM
by GrandPaul
GrandPaul
The original question has a different answer for each individual rider
1 member likes this
#855531 Aug 6th a 04:33 AM
by DavidP
DavidP
FWIW: I normally park my Trident on the center stand, simple enough to get off the bike after a ride and put it on the stand (I used to put it on the stand without dismounting.) But, these days I find myself putting down the side stand before I dismount just in case my ankle or knee decide to give out.
You might have noticed that all the rides I post here are 100 miles or less. The 180 miles of the TSMR this year about wore my old donkey out. I would need a Gold Wing to make a long run, but I'd rather have an MG Midget with the top down.
1 member likes this
#855546 Aug 6th a 01:17 PM
by Hugh Jörgen
Hugh Jörgen
You could get some zzz's on the way to the swap meet.
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#855598 Aug 7th a 12:01 AM
by NickL
NickL
The great thing about race tracks is you're all going the same way and all
on machines of a like type. No intersections etc. Plus most blokes out there
don't want to phone anyone at the time. Safest form of riding.

A road outfit with 16 inch wheels, leading link forks and set up well can be a
great buzz if you have a keen passenger and good brakes.It's not just a bike
with a box attached to one side. If ridden sedately it can be a really nice type
of motoring and ridden sportively on appropriate roads, terrific fun.
I learned to ride on an a10SR with a steib chair when i was 16 and carried out
some of the required mods before the bike was put back to solo trim. My
most memorable outings were always with it as an outfit.
1 member likes this
#855677 Aug 7th a 11:09 PM
by DavidP
DavidP
I watched those videos of women picking up Hawgs. I tried it with the K without success. For one thing a K bike on its side is really on its side, not lying on top of a floor board.
I have managed to lift a Trident off my ankle, but that had solid footpegs and I was in my 20's at the time.
I gotta spend more time on the pedal bike. laugh
1 member likes this
#855703 Aug 8th a 04:34 AM
by DavidP
DavidP
I think I have four benchmarks for when I'm too old to ride.
1. When I can no longer mount my own tires
2. When I can no longer put it on the center stand
3. When I can no longer kick start the bike
4. When I fall over dismounting

So far, I only have difficulty with the first.
1 member likes this
#855766 Aug 8th a 09:57 PM
by Twin Pot Phil
Twin Pot Phil
Grand Paul, going back to your LCR post, to be utterly pedantic a LCR was NEVER (and still is not, as far as I am aware) a sidecar (according to the Grand Prix rules when they were built - the steering linkage does not conform to the rules (sliding bearing), a fact that Rolf Biland (for whom LC(R) originally designed the outfit) was only too aware at the time. He threw his teddies out the cot when asked by Silverstone GP tech inspection to 'open the bag' on the steering linkage and threatened to not race if the bag was opened, the FIM rep overruled the tech inspector! I know this to be true as I know the tech inspector concerned.

LCR's are responsible for the current appalling standard of UK oufit race craft - point and squirt, no power slides. Only drivers the like of Steve Webster had the talent (and balls) to properly drift an LCR, because of the wheelbase (the very basis of the design).
I have driven an LCR - completely uninspiring and everything 'an outfit' should not be, especially within non GP based racing here (anywhere?).
Better to have an F2 outfit (short wheelbase) or historic over here, but F2 are expensive to run.
1 member likes this
#855563 Aug 6th a 06:00 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by MikeG
No body else thinking about a Can Am Spyder?

I don't think so. A three wheeler has all the disadvantages of a motorcycle, and none of the advantages of a car.

OR

it has all of the disadvantages of a car and none of the advantages of a motorcycle, if you'd rather say it that way.

Plus, you'd never miss a pothole again ....

Nope, when the bikes are no longer an option, and assuming that a car still IS an option, it'll be either a Model-A era roadster or (if I can still climb down into one) a 60's Brit roadster.

Lannis
1 member likes this
#855861 Aug 10th a 04:16 AM
by DavidP
DavidP
Originally Posted by reverb
...I am not so old to quit transporting me on a motorcycle but I can not put the 79 T140E (with longer and somewhat flat handle bars) on the center stand.
I understand. I have to back my T120 onto a 2x6 to get it up on the center stand. The Trident, on the other hand, goes up pretty easily, go figure.
Even the K bike is easier to put on the stand, but they provided a lift handle. I just have to be careful taking it off the stand. The first time I tried it fell over, had to wait for my neighbor to come home to lift it. I guess it's a bit easier if you work mounting truck tires. laugh
1 member likes this
#856163 Aug 15th a 11:28 AM
by Dwight V
Dwight V
Ed Fisher doesn't care about age.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com