Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
MikeJ
MikeJ
San Mateo, CA USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
11 members (konon, Tridentman, John Harvey, Rocketman71, triton thrasher, Rohan, Motorcycles and Art, chaterlea25, Edalfa, Hugh Jörgen, Steve Highfield), 41 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Chip H, Gordon Gray, jjdavidson, KevRasen, Stuart Kirk, zambu
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by zambu
zambu
Hello brit bikers
Preparing for a longer trip (800 miles) with my BSA A10, getting tools and spares ready. Experience from previous trips: Tire puncture, clutch problem, lost bolts, brake cable dammage. But could always do a roadside repair. The white wrapped thing on the left is a new spare tube. Also very helpful is a bunch of friends coming along, although with non british bikes. They also carry their tools, helps to find whats needed most of the times. But its always a compromise between weight and beeing prepared.... Wondering what you other brit bikers carry along!?

The tools / spares:

https://ibb.co/fXtL2xP

A few years ago, clutch repair on the campground:

https://ibb.co/9wsPrjy

Wish you happy driving!
Liked Replies
by slow learner
slow learner
I recently did 1300 miles in 5 days ( Cross Country Chase) on an A10 with my wife on the back. I ended up adjusting the clutch (pull primary case cover) and fixed a broken top end oil feed pipe which made it necessary to reset the tappets (feeler gauges). I was glad I had a box end wrench to fit the foot peg nut, an assortment of rubber tube in various sizes and some hose clamps. Your tool kit looks comprehensive. If you have a monoblock carb I would consider carrying a pilot jet cover nut and a spare main jet cover nut as I have seen people loose these and then you are stuck. Did anyone mention tie-wire and a sharp knife? I've cut up empty beer cans to make covers, funnels, etc.
2 members like this
by slow learner
slow learner
It should be no surprise there is a broad range of expectations and sensibilities represented on this forum. I like to think any bike I own would carry me anywhere I want to go in this world but others will not venture out on a vintage machine any further than they can push back home. To each their own.

As to what to carry along; experience tends to influence choices. I have read accounts of people who rode around the world on vintage bikes ("One Man Caravan" '30s era Douglas for example) and experienced nothing worse than a failed light bulb. That's not my experience. I have a '61 MSS Velocette I have done over 100K miles on and I know and trust it. Still, on a solo trip to Canada from Southern California, in the middle of the desert on a hot day, a recently rebuilt magneto failed. Sure glad I was carrying a spare and was able to install it as the situation was close to dire.

So, make your choices and choose your kit. The bottom line is (to paraphrase Dirty Harry) "Feel lucky Punk?".
2 members like this
by Andy Higham
Andy Higham
I carry my RAC card and mobile phone
1 member likes this
by zambu
zambu
Originally Posted by Chip H
Triple A or Hagertys.

Haha yes, for the real bad breakdowns I have that wink But I am not sure if they carry any withworth tools!
1 member likes this
by reverb
reverb
I understand your worries but what you need is a comfy motorcycle. If you never changed the throttle wire, well; possibly that would fail so if your bike has good service and you have new electrics; chains etc (if not is crazy to take a long trip anyway) you do not need most of that stuff. Even more if you ride not so fast.
You need the screwdrivers wrenches etc to take off the parts to change the throttle cable and adjust few nuts; bulbs; a puncture spray and not so many more things.

-Few years ago a young British fella with his gal rode from Mexico to here (Uruguay) on a mid 60s BSA; do not know how many km but at least 16000-18000km! They only had a puncture in Bolivia and a problem with the transmission in South Brazil (where they connected to a forum, may be this one, to ask for help on how that thing could be dismantled)

Before this lock of borders here; I did a 1500km trip with one of my bikes (79) and the problem that I had was with the stupid external oil filter (a thing installed by PO) that almost seized the engine; but if was stock, never would happened and I was riding with a new bike besides, so we rode at strong speeds.
1 member likes this
by BSA_WM20
BSA_WM20
Originally Posted by zambu
Trevor, I completely agree, most of us know the weak points of our "ladies" and can check things before they break.

Still, over all the years I had quite some roadside repairs. But with a bunch of friends we always managed to get the bikes running again. And what's better than telling these stories later while having a couple of beers wink

https://ibb.co/cNGVnJc

Had my share of DNF's but very few were really unexpected usually due to a bad habbit of leaving things too late then doing rush repairs without sufficient time to test said repairs or just plain not properly preparring the bike before I left .
I often feel that the biggest problem is the riders who have forgotten what these bikes were like from new and expect 2020 performance from their bikes and do not have the skills to compensate for the short commings of their mount .
They are noisy, shake, bits break , fall off & fluids leak out everywhere but most times they will get you home .
Remember BSA regularly tried to win Maudes trophies by building bikes up from spare parts the riding them for long distances .
I have seen a lot of bikes retire from runs that I would have had no problems riding back home.
These bikes are a lot tougher than most appreciate and they can often be fixed with junk found on the side of the road.

We had a member who broke the fuel banjo en route to a rally 600 km away.
Did he give up & go home
No way, a golf T found on the side of the road and some epoxy & he was back on the way .
Way to easy to call it quits & then wait for the back up or call the other half to bring the trailer to rescue you .
1 member likes this
by Deadstiffcatt
Deadstiffcatt
1: thanks for the reminder- I should have a tube patch kit.
2: double thanks because you made me find a pack of rolling papers, saving me an almost immediate 17 mile trip each way to get some....(yep, right there in the tank case by the matches.....)

A shake up or dynamo flashlight is best, flashlight is no good with dead batteries.
Also slated for my last build: It will be a unit Triumph with a rigid rear end to look like a 1950. I've taken Royal Enfield left and right triangular toolboxes; the left will house my battery and the right box will house the most important of tools......it will be my liquor cabinet to hold a mini bottle of kahlua, a mini vodka, and two glass shot glasses boldly emblazoned with the Union Jack. Style and class reserved for only the finest of emergency moments!
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com