Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Morgan aka admin
Morgan aka admin
Sävedalen, Sweden
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 56
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 24
Newest Members
NDarwin, Bas classic bikes, lojo, Doug McLaren, Randy Maui
12,332 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (Roger from Dorset, desco, Morgan aka admin, Tribsauk, Rocketman71, Jonez69, BeezaBryan), 22 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,675
Posts782,858
Members12,332
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, gavin eisler, Kev Ev, SpeedyV
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#854750 07/27/2021 11:31 AM
by Kev Ev
Kev Ev
Hi all,

Could anyone recommend a UK supplier for the 'John Bull' type rubber tie straps that fit in various places on the pre-OIF A65 for securing electrical and control cables? Also what lengths do I need?

I've seen a few advertised but am always a bit wary on the quality of this kind of thing and it would be good if I could get your feedback please.

Cheers,

Kev E
Liked Replies
#854889 Jul 29th a 09:14 AM
by Kev Ev
Kev Ev
Originally Posted by Allan G
If you use the double eyelet rubber ties the cable is kept away from the frame. They form a figure 8 the smaller end around the cable and the larger loop around the frame.

Hi Allan,

I discovered this method while researching the tie strap subject. I like the way that these rubber ties hold the wiring harness to the frame using this method.

I found a couple of photos while I was looking around that show how it works.

Cheers,

Kev E
Attached Images
2 members like this
#854751 Jul 27th a 12:33 PM
by John Healy
John Healy
RGM Motors in UK
1 member likes this
#854766 Jul 27th a 05:31 PM
by MarcB
MarcB
I'm pretty certain zip ties are designed expressly for motorcycles wink

1 member likes this
#854770 Jul 27th a 06:55 PM
by Allan G
Allan G
The silicone rubber ties on eBay at the moment seem to be quite good. Extremely resilient to being over stretched and not tearing also.

Use the shorter ones for down tube sizes and where it’s a Little fatter tubing. Use the longer ones. An OIF spine is the limit For the longer ones.
1 member likes this
#854776 Jul 27th a 08:36 PM
by John Healy
John Healy
Seeing you are in the UK - RGM Motors. Google his store. Use john bull in the search window.

These are all new production using modern materials. Price is reasonable!

We have been stocking, and selling these since he introduced them.
1 member likes this
#854780 Jul 27th a 09:30 PM
by quinten
quinten
https://www.rgmnorton.co.uk/buy/john-bull-style-rubber-tidy-sample-pack_4858.htm
( link is to a sample pack , just one of the options )
[Linked Image from s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com]
1 member likes this
#854883 Jul 29th a 07:24 AM
by andyame1974
andyame1974
Hi Kev, I hear what your saying about the appearance, I have also looked into using these and availability. Other then being more vintage correct, I,m going with the black zap strap, because most of the electrical is already hidden by fuel tank and seat and unless you use a double john bull of right sizes, criss crossing the other and making a standoff of sorts then they will still cause vibration harness wear on the paint job. I,m looking at some thin gauge vinyl adhesive tape where ties unable to install, and use Double criss/cross zap ties to create a standoff of sorts between the frame mount sections and the wiring harness sections should make a clearance of sorts between both which will prevent some vibration and erosion contact with the paint job
1 member likes this
#854888 Jul 29th a 09:05 AM
by Allan G
Allan G
If you use the double eyelet rubber ties the cable is kept away from the frame. They form a figure 8 the smaller end around the cable and the larger loop around the frame.
1 member likes this
#854908 Jul 29th a 05:00 PM
by Hugh Jörgen
Hugh Jörgen
https://www.classicbritishspares.com/products/rubber-cable-ties

CBS ships same day IME.
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com