Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
kommando
kommando
Scotland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 77
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 22
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (bsalloyd, BSA_WM20, 2ndchildhood, DJinCA, Robbo6, BrizzoBrit, Mark Z), 23 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
bon
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#854606 07/24/2021 11:46 PM
by bon
bon
Anyone happen to know where you can buy a single seat as fitted to rigid framed bikes, that won't cost a kings ransom ? I did have an Indian made one which was impressive in its weight, but the leather wasn't leather, some bizarre leather/plastic hybrid that fell apart. What was worst though was the springs under the cover, well i call them springs, they were spring shaped objects, but once stretched, they stayed that way.

There must be better than that available ?
Liked Replies
#854613 Jul 25th a 04:16 AM
by BSA_WM20
BSA_WM20
There are but will you pay a fair & reasonable price for one.
And we are talking around the $ 500 mark.
There was a lot of work that goes into making a single saddle in the days when dedicated factories are pumping out 2000 week
The last set of springs I bought were $ 200 ( Aus)
The spring maker that I have used before charges his time out at $ 150 / hr and it takes 1/2rhr to set the winder mandrels up before you make a single spring. And that is assuming he has the mandrels and remembering that there are 8 different length springs in my saddle

The last time I had a vynal set recoverd it cost $ 50 (Aust )
A leather one would have been 3 times that price.
And the original covers were a vynl material called "Rexene"

You might get more useful results if you tell us where on the planet you are .
1 member likes this
#854637 Jul 25th a 01:52 PM
by Tridentman
Tridentman
Have you tried the VMCC store in UK?
1 member likes this
#854652 Jul 25th a 06:00 PM
by Deadstiffcatt
Deadstiffcatt
Seat cover can be made from heavy duty vinyl; there is a type used for tonneau covers (or convertible car roof) that is a very similar grain to original seat. Vinyl is better as much more waterproof than leather. -experience talking here.
In the event of no spring availability, the Terry seats used a materiel similar to bungee cords. You can make a web of this (can be found at home despot) add small s hooks at ends to attach to frame. Need to account for weight (stretch) when designing.
Usual assembly is springs to seat frame, horsehair cover over springs, then seat cover. I added a 2 inch very dense foam between horsehair and seat cover, without it you will feel springs in short time. Maybe gel seat here instead of foam?
Sorry, no pics, decades ago......
1 member likes this
#854669 Jul 25th a 07:56 PM
by AngloBike
AngloBike
Armours/vmcc/burton bike bits
1 member likes this
#854680 Jul 25th a 10:37 PM
by Rohan
Rohan
Who did you buy the Indian made one from ?
I've bought/fitted a number of single seats over recent years, and not had a problem.
They are big and heavy like you say though - the 'universal' type was like that.
It has that extra metal bar under the back of it.

The original british made ones used "leatherette" as the seat cover material, and it wasn't brilliant either.
I sourced some leather made ones, but that source has dried up. They cost a bit too.
Time will tell how they last.
Seat covers are still about, in various qualities, is there someone in Ireland who supplies classic type bits.

I'd avoid those springs that look like they've had a bad trip to the hairdressers !
I sourced some seat springs for a Norton recently - Indian made.
They were 4 & 1/2" inches, whereas the set I had set aside was 7" - and way too long.
Seem OK so far ...

Genuine black leather
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224508149388
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Cheaper ? (seat cover) by far ... And a fairly reliable supplier in my opinion.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254528784531

You have to know that there is likely only one or 2 suppliers in India, and all the rest are what I'd call 'mark-up' resellers.
If you can find the original supplier, the prices are often really really inexpensive.
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Hopethishelps.

P.S. It goes without saying that I have not personally inspected anything that anyone might send you,
so as always caveat emptor and all that ...
1 member likes this
#854701 Jul 26th a 09:08 AM
by BSA_WM20
BSA_WM20
Wrap the horsehair / engineering felt padding in pallet wrap then hit it with some hot air to fuse it .
Now it won't get saturated with water when it ains and sit wet on the springs promoting rusting.
One better is to cut a triangle from the front of a 1 gallon / 4 liter oil bottle to sit directly on the springs
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com