Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Myles Raymond
Myles Raymond
Glasgow, Scotland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
8 members (Chris the camper., quinten, L.A.B., BeezaBryan, GrandPaul, Norri Robertson, Dave Comeau, Deadstiffcatt), 35 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
bones_bir, GrandPaul, pushrod tom
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#854101 07/19/2021 6:48 PM
by bones_bir
bones_bir
[Linked Image from forums.delphiforums.com]

Race Report Follows

Thurs – Departed at dawn and trekked 628 miles down the interstate towards the track. 11 hours later arrived in the paddock, registered, and set up my pit.

Fri- Race School- After hitting the coffee truck, which was a welcome sight directly across from our pit, I push the bike over to Tech and completed the inspection without any drama. The bike has far more safety wire than is required, because AHRMA and AMA rules overlap, but not completely. The fire sleeve on the fuel lines raised questions, but there were no issues.

Race School students were called out during the riders meeting to report to class and the class was an equal mix of classroom instruction and track time. The first track session was a couple parade laps to just run the course and slowly ride the track lines. The bike fired and stuffed into my leathers I made my way to pit out. Even in second gear, the Corkscrew is terrifying. The entry is blind, the apex only comes into view as you crest the hill and you do not see the dogleg until you are at the apex. It is not like any other track I have been on and is a lot more technical than fast.

For the first time in ten years, the bike was pretty much uncooperative all day. I had lots of little problems from jetting to electrics to shifter linkage issues. During the school riding sessions I would get a lap in and have to come back in to sort out something. School was an all-day affair and I completed my test without any additional drama, got my certificate and blue shirt, and was turned loose on the racing society.

Sat – Practice – After a good night sleep, I elected to go out on one practice session after sorting out some mechanical issues the previous evening. The bike popped, sputtered and lacked power, but got around the course for a couple laps and allowed me to tighten up my lines a bit.

Sat – Race – I was assigned into race two, which on one hand I was grateful to get out early but the lineup was a bit lopsided. BEARS and Historic Production Heavyweight were lined up in wave two, however Phillip Island Challenge went out in wave one and was loaded with ridiculously fast big superbikes from the 80’s.

I am one of two in my class, so if I can finish I am guaranteed a podium. The other bike in the class was a nice BMW R75/5. Flag drops and we take off. BMW runs away and I am not catching him. I settle in and focus on running my lines and riding my race. I got passed and lapped by most of the field almost immediately, but all passes were clean. At some point I found my line through the corkscrew and it was suddenly not so scary. I finished my race and made my way back to the pits.

I got back to my pit and noticed oil dripping from the exhausts. Checked the plugs and they we also oil-soaked. My suspicion is blow-by through the rings since it was losing power on acceleration , but still had compression when I rolled off the throttle. Being done early allowed me to walk the paddock and check out the other bikes. There were a lot of interesting and rare bike in the pits and the vibe in AHRMA is actually quite friendly for the most part. I spoke with other riders and enjoyed the day. I attended the day’s awards ceremony and it was a riot as they went through the awards. They had the podium set up and folks made use of it. I collected my 2nd place placard and enjoyed my 3 seconds of podium glory. As the day closed, we all tucked into a bottle of vodka and told stories into the night.

Sun – I had made the decision not to run on Sunday. The bike was not going to runn any better than the previous day and I was not there for points. I had completed what I set out to do and there was no point flogging a tired machine just to get track time. I slowly packed up my pits, walked the paddock and talk to a few others about what the appropriate class would be to run my Gold Star in. I got a lot of positive feedback and direction for my next build.

As for the future of the Swiss Army Racer, I have been racing the bike off and on since 2011, so basically ten years. The engine is well overdue for a full rebuild, and will get it before going back out on the salt. The plan is to set it up as a permanent salt bike, go with a full period race fairing and run it in a faster class than I had previously.

As far as future road racing goes, I have the Gold Star as well as a small Rickman frame. Between those two bikes, I can build a couple race bikes that I can run a few classes in and have some fun. This was the only racing event I can afford this year and that’s OK. My company is my sponsor, so I will just have to hustle for more work to be able to get out more next year.

Other BSA's spotted in the Paddock

[Linked Image from forums.delphiforums.com][Linked Image from forums.delphiforums.com]
Liked Replies
by Mark Parker
Mark Parker
The factory had almost 80hp from an A65 with A10 crank in 1970.
1 member likes this
by Mark Parker
Mark Parker
That's great. My son has a 71 frame and an engine plus some steel MAP rods a good head and an engine that needs fixing. He wants to race. Not sure when that's going to happen though.

He could probably just run his road bike on a track somewhere or land speed event. The 71 frame came with nothing so he needs to get stuff. It could be fun but tracks are no where near here. And entry is expensive.

He could buy a steering damper for this, it's totally fine till you hit a major bump. The rgv is very stable and light, but I guess he wants to race other old bikes with the 71.

1 member likes this
by Mark Parker
Mark Parker
I can see the weight thing Tom I did lots of stuff to an A65 frame trying to address this with a long alloy swing arm as well. I concluded that the engine is a bit back in the frame. On the dirt it's possibly better back, but on bitumen forward has a stability the stock set up didn't have. Though the rgv is totally different. Where the other bike would shake it's head on bumps uphill under power the rgv is perfectly stable. Ben's one below.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is with a longer swing arm A10 crank and Lectrons. It had nice midrange especially with big valves which possibly did more than the displacement. I took one head off at lunch time and had the other on and riding it again in the afternoon. I don't know if I ever had the Lectrons right. But I had them very good for cruising 70-80mph Getting around 90mpg between Sydney and Canberra on the express way. It was probably a bit advanced and an ignition with a throttle position sensor could possibly make that work. Or a switch.

1 member likes this
by bones_bir
bones_bir
A couple pics from the track photographer

[Linked Image from images.i.thechive.com]

[Linked Image from images.i.thechive.com]
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com