Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
JubeePrince
JubeePrince
Maryland, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
9 members (ducati2242, Stuart Kirk, koncretekid, Robert Dentico, Gary Caines, L.A.B., gavin eisler, wilksville, John Harvey), 30 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
bon, Chip H, DJinCA, HayMike, Jon W. Whitley, leon bee, slofut
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#853968 07/17/2021 10:28 PM
by OriginalScott
OriginalScott
I have driven by this bike all spring and summer. It is located in upstate New York at a bar / bbq joint. It looks like a mashup of late 60s early 70s parts. The frame looks bent as well. It seems to be leaning a little more lately with all the rain. How and why do bikes get left out like this? I didn't go in and ask but the owner probably wants more than its worth. What a shame.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Scott
Liked Replies
#854022 Jul 18th a 04:47 PM
by BAinLA
BAinLA
Made me think of this in my warped mind;
Attached Images
3 members like this
#853984 Jul 18th a 12:24 AM
by Jon W. Whitley
Jon W. Whitley
Originally Posted by reverb
...here the problem are the papers; the title that is in the name of a defunct so no any possibilities to a bike in that condition, to reborn. Happened to me recently with a good 1949 T100. That motorbike will die there in that barn, alone; due to bureaucracy.

Not if that was here. You need to rescue it and worry about getting it sorted afterward.
2 members like this
#853996 Jul 18th a 06:44 AM
by Dibnah
Dibnah
In some parts of the UK, the "recycling community" would get that bike back into the back of a van as if by magic.
2 members like this
#854346 Jul 22nd a 12:09 AM
by Jon W. Whitley
Jon W. Whitley
Originally Posted by reverb
Hi Mr Whitley; regarding this other bike; I am in the need of sell bikes not to buy a bike that cannot be ridden and is not cheap.

Then, why even mention it? You know about it and are willing to let it sit there and rust away. I can't say I am impressed with your lack of motivation in rescuing this piece of history.

Update:

Fernando, I lined through the rather harsh statement I made, please accept my apology for being a bit jerky in the moment. smile

Maybe you could get pics of it and a contact for the owner of that machine and the last stated price in your currency? It may be able to be rescued from someone from abroad.
1 member likes this
#854642 Jul 25th a 03:27 PM
by reverb
reverb
Hi DavidP; yes; that way.

Hi Bigbars (chopper?) before the closing of borders I went in a 79 Bonneville from here to Argentina and back. Argentina has unique landscapes due to the Mountains and that is a large Country. Those incredible places are near Bolivia or near the Southern parts and from here is about 7000 - 10000km round trip. I still did not do it but may be if I find the evasive crankshaft I would do it.
Since a kid I wanted to go to Manaus in Brazil that is in the Amazon forest but always thought that there is too much heat for an old bike however now I am thinking that in Winter time would be good due to there in Winter not be more than 27ºC I think. Problem is if the engine damages. There is no old motorbikes in Brazil.

Hi Bon; reminds me 2 times that I went to Argentina with cash in my hand to buy a 69 Bonneville engine that was on that bench since 15 years (in that time) but that hoarder did not accepted that amount of money! he wanted 500D more!! and I had about 4000D on the hand (like to go with 8000 there in USA)
The guy had 250 (big) bikes or more and some very unique. Around 30 Triumph with couple of first year Bonnevilles; special Hondas etc.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com