Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
MikeJ
MikeJ
San Mateo, CA USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
11 members (KevRasen, desco, D.Bachtel, wilksville, John Harvey, Spitfire Ken, Magnetoman, triton thrasher, konon, M.Gunderson, Stuart Kirk), 44 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Beach, Hugh Jörgen, Jon W. Whitley, Morgan aka admin
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#853217 07/07/2021 3:54 PM
by Hugh Jörgen
Hugh Jörgen
One of the first things I discovered after getting back into Brit bikes after a long absence was that acquiring correct parts was a somewhat more taxing exercise than it used to be.
First thing I do now when a part arrives is pull out the mic and determine how far away from spec it is.
Occasionally it's spot on. Bonus!
Knowing there are a limited number of players in this game, some providers have adopted the 'take it or leave it, since I'm doing you a favor' attitude.

Over the weekend through the Baxter website I had ordered a pack of 1/2 nickel plated ferrules and the matching crimping tool.
Early Tuesday I get a call from a very helpful person in Parts.
Due to database error tool matched on website will not actually crimp those ferrules.
Correct tool is slightly more money, is that OK?
Sure, and if that tool would also do 7/16 ferrules, I would take a pack of those as well.
Computer says "No stock", but she says wait a minute while she physically checks shelves.
Winner, winner. There's a box hiding in the back.

So just a shout out to the folks at Baxter Cycle.
Thank you!
Liked Replies
#853231 Jul 7th a 06:19 PM
by DavidP
DavidP
I had a similar experience once with Rabers. I needed the thickest lay shaft thrust washer for my A65 and ordered that part #. What I got measured as standard thickness. I called them up and he actually went in back with his own calipers until he found the right one, shipped it for free no need to return the other.
British Only was also very helpful when I wanted T160 carb springs for my T150. Searched around his stock and called me back when he found them.
Such service is invaluable when the part number is not enough, like when they changed the part but kept using the same number.
Those dealers are an endangered species these day, it's a shame.
3 members like this
#853260 Jul 7th a 11:50 PM
by Jon W. Whitley
Jon W. Whitley
Originally Posted by DavidP
British Only was also very helpful

Those dealers are an endangered species these days, it's a shame.

Yes,

Over the years, British Only had contacted me multiple times over the years for clarification and to let me know of updated changes, etc. They will forever have been my most trusted and memorable source for British motorcycle parts. Hands down thumbsup
1 member likes this
#853400 Jul 9th a 08:50 PM
by oldfool
oldfool
One time SRM called me about my address.
It was breakfast time over here and my teenage daughter hands me the phone and says, "It's some old guy from England". Ugh.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com