Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
North Carolina
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 84
NickL 69
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 23
Newest Members
bradders, tizianouk, Breeze, FORTYTWO, TomV
11,929 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (pidjones, shel), 19 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Lorenzo, TinkererToo
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#851951 06/20/2021 12:21 AM
by Hillbilly bike
Hillbilly bike
My 79 T140D, on a shift from first to second at a moderate speed the shifter hangs up in neutral.This happens about 50% of the time. Sometimes a second try finds second, sometimes not...If the bike accelerates briskly to a higher rpm it seems ok All other gears shift ok up or down. the clutch does not drag, neutral is not difficult to find stopped or moving ,chains are newer and in adjustment...No unusual noises, GL 4 90 gear oil...
What do you think?
Liked Replies
#851961 Jun 20th a 06:20 AM
by TR7RVMan
TR7RVMan
Hi Hillbilly, Rusted, weak, broken shifter centering springs can cause this. I can't explain why not in all gears. I find that puzzling.

Rust out, rust weakness of springs is very common on these bikes. Your bike would have come with the thicker curved springs. 57-7051
Don
1 member likes this
#851968 Jun 20th a 10:37 AM
by Hillbilly bike
Hillbilly bike
Yes the bike has a functioning neutral light. The centering springs looked ok three years ago..The bike isn't ridden more than about 1000 miles a year but gets a good workout when ridden. When not ridden the bike is parked in my heated shop...The bike has rear set controls but nothing is sloppy or binding...
Moving the lever by hand it appears to have a firm centering action
It's a problem that seems to be worse this year. Why does the problem seem to disappear when ridden more aggressively?...
I suppose it's best just to have a look inside..
1 member likes this
#851977 Jun 20th a 01:42 PM
by DMadigan
DMadigan
The neutral switch that I have has a brass body and pin. The plunger hole could have worn or the pin could have developed a ridge that makes it hang up on the edge of the hole. Either way, the pin could be sticking making the shift hard when lightly moved but more aggressive shifting masks the problem.
I would remove the switch and replace with a plug to test before opening up the box.
1 member likes this
#854706 Jul 26th a 11:10 AM
by Hillbilly bike
Hillbilly bike
On mine the switch body cleared the quadrant by about .030 for consistent switch operation. The quadrant has a bit of play so you may want to wiggle from side to side to check switch operation..
This is a procedure requiring common mechanical know how....don't over think it wink grin
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com