Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
MikeJ
MikeJ
San Mateo, CA USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
9 members (JBMorris, rweb, desco, Norri Robertson, Hugh Jörgen, BigBars, NYBSAGUY, harvey_mushman, Morgan aka admin), 36 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, Gordon Gray
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
I'm trying to help a fellow ID a front end on one of his 1967 B44Rs. The front end is not the typical stock front end for the roadster. He has what looks like ( all this is going on long distance) a 1968 SS brake on an 18" wheel. What looks odd is that the axle doesn't come out flush with the caps like the 69-70 pictured.

Is that correct?

Gordon
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by Jon W. Whitley
Jon W. Whitley
Originally Posted by Allan G
I don’t think so Jon, those caps have the squared-off shoulder for the outer side as per Gunners' image. I believe this was a c1968 feature only for both A65 and B series. These caps are a little wider than the earlier type (Or offset differently - I cannot remember which) than the earlier ones which have the semi-circular shoulder on both sides of the clamp.

Allan,

I am not surprised if that is the case. I look forward to a definitive answer.
1 member likes this
by kommando
kommando
My 69 Shooting Star came with 68 damper rod forks and the proper 69 7" TLS brakeplate so mixing and matching at the factory is not unknown..
1 member likes this
by Tommy Thomas
Tommy Thomas
Good morning,

I am a new member on your wonderful forum. (just registered yesterday)
Your commitment to helping fellow members is evident by all these posts. A special thank you to Gordon, who got me moving in the right direction with
"just the facts" and is so generous with his time to a person he is just starting to know. Gordon is amazing .

I am the fellow with the 1967 Roadster that has a 1968 front end on it. I have two 1967 Roadsters and love them both.

Thank you for all your help - I will be back ( alot).

Cheers.
Tommy Thomas
1 member likes this
by Allan G
Allan G
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
I think the fellow feels pretty good about what he has.....thanks again for the help.

One of the things that I can't shake is.......I thought I read ( in a popular, current paperback) that BSA only produced around 2500 1967 B44Rs.

This one we're talking about has a 27xx number.......gota be the highest I've seen. My runners are 204 and 820.....wonder if that 1968 front end actually came with the bike? Stranger things happened at the factory.

Thanks again for the help......Gordon

One for Andy Lorenz, but I believe the serial numbers were sequential across all unit singles.

So b44b 0002
B25b 0003

And so on.
1 member likes this
by Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson
According Mr Ratio; last of the B44R model was B44R 2611 (8/67)...though the Roadster continued into the 68 season as B44RB, up until 9/67, ending at B44RB 2816.

So is Tommy's frame B44RB?

Which may explain the fork, brake, and other items yet to be encountered?
1 member likes this
by Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson
I've never seen one either... odd deal, with only one month of production.

It is logical, adding the suffix B date stamp, so why complicate things by changing to SS one month in?

Unless there are some actual differences between the RB and the SS? Enough to warrant a name change?

Rupert's been wrong before, and if Tommy's bike frame is just R, then he is again. But with quoting actual numbers I'd think he has some pretty good substantiation.
1 member likes this
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
One for Andy Lorenz, but I believe the serial numbers were sequential across all unit singles.

So b44b 0002
B25b 0003

And so on.

Allan my friend.......I do believe you're right. The Roadster was a one year only bike in 67. It was the road model and had a square barrel while the others had a round barrel. That all changed in 68......still the road model but with some different bits.

B44R 101 is what I thought they started numbering them for the Roadster ( Shooting Star in the US)
C25 101 for the 250. My highest numbered 67 is 1775.

I believe Tommy's bike could be one of the last of the 67s........I'd be interested to know for sure.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all the dads out there, Gordon in NC
1 member likes this
by Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson
From Rupert again... he shows Roadster engine stamp as B44R for 67 and 68. In another book, he calls out the Roadster frame stamp for 68 as B44RB.

(B44B engine stamp for 68 Shooting Star, SS frame stamp)

Oy....
1 member likes this
by kommando
kommando
I will have to look back into my notes but from memory they messed up the 68 model year stamping and some 68 R's did not get the B stamped when they should as B stood for 68.
1 member likes this
by Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson
I agree Gordon... I think the bike is probably an early 68, which gives the forks a good chance of being original. There are a couple other frame items we could check to confirm 67 vs 68, but those still wouldn't really prove anything.

The party never ends...
1 member likes this
by SpeedyV
SpeedyV
Originally Posted by Jon W. Whitley
I don’t think so Jon, those caps have the squared-off shoulder for the outer side as per Gunners' image. I believe this was a c1968 feature only for both A65 and B series. These caps are a little wider than the earlier type (Or offset differently - I cannot remember which) than the earlier ones which have the semi-circular shoulder on both sides of the clamp.

Allan,

I am not surprised if that is the case. I look forward to a definitive answer.

For what it's worth, this is a shot from my '68 B25 Starfire.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com