Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Pennsyltuckey
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 87
Allan G 56
kevin 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 33
Newest Members
Jim Harris, Cuppy, budpotter, Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK
12,160 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (MrMarty51, bill50cal, Robert Dentico, Steve Erickson, Lannis), 23 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,311
Posts772,635
Members12,160
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, Gary Caines, Gordon Gray, Hillbilly bike, kommando, ned37, SpeedyV
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Gary Caines
Gary Caines
I have a newly acquired 1969 BSA 441 Victor Special. The manual calls for a Champion N4 spark plug. I've looked at several references that say that a Champion N4-C is not compatible with my engine. Years ago I had a BSA Gold Star and I had difficulties with Champion plugs going open internally, I'm assuming from vibration. I also burned a hole in a piston in a 74 Trident I had, apparently from too hot a plug. I finally had the best luck with NGK plugs holding up in my Gold Star. I also had good luck with Autolite plugs. What is the best plug to use in my 441 Victor? I have read a considerable amount of conflicting information.
Liked Replies
by Allan G
Allan G
Where did you read that the N4C wasn’t compatible? The standard N4 is no longer available and the N4C is the direct (C meaning copper core) replacement.

The N4 part of N4C is dimensionally and heat range identical to the old N4.
3 members like this
by kommando
kommando
I have run projected spark plugs in Unit Singles for 40 years (C15,B25,B40,B44), never had a hole in a piston or the gap close up.
2 members like this
by LarryLebel
LarryLebel
NGK BP5ES
1 member likes this
by kommando
kommando
Don't expect ebay seller databases to properly cover an over 50 year old motorcycles. As Allan says the N4-C was a direct replacement for the N4 with a copper core, it can hardly be incompatible with a B44. My B44 is twin plugged so no point in giving you my plug numbers as its non standard in that and a few other ways.
1 member likes this
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Originally Posted by LarryLebel
NGK BP5ES

I should know better than say anything but that’s hard for me to do.

Larry’s plug is 3 heat ranges hotter (?) than the plug I use. Unlike kommandos bike mine are all pretty much stock.

This darn “no longer produced” stuff with plugs is a pain. I’ve been doing some research today and I’m getting conflicting information on the plug cross overs.

It used to be simple.

Gordon
1 member likes this
by quinten
quinten
https://matchlessclueless.com/wp-co...nge-comparison-between-manufacturers.jpg
[Linked Image from matchlessclueless.com]
1 member likes this
by Shane in Oz
Shane in Oz
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
Site I used ( today) clearly says BOTH the B8 and B7 are replacements for N4. How can that be?

Confused in NC…….I knew better.

Gordon

Originally Posted by Allan G
I have a bsa article somewhere which kinda agrees with your B8ES =N4, though modern cross references say different. In this particular article it goes on to show the N3 equivalent is equal to B9ES.
Apparently NGK and Champion spark plug numbers are about half a heat range offset from each other+ as well as running in opposite direction, so the Champion N4 is about an NGK B7.5E* and the N3 is B8.5E*. Alternatively, an NGK B8E* is about a Champion N3.5 and the B7E* is about a Champion N4.5.

Just in case we weren't confused enough already, Champion's 'N' is 14mm, 3/4" reach (yes, they really do mix metric and imperial), NGK's 'B' prefix is 14mm and 'E' suffix is 3/4" reach

[+] I read that years ago, but don't remember where, or even if the source was trustworthy. Take it with the appropriate sized grain of salt.
1 member likes this
by Richrd
Richrd
Just to confuse Gordon even more, ngk no longer makes non resister plugs.

Try to order a b7es or bp7s and see what you get
1 member likes this
by Gary Caines
Gary Caines
Gordon,
I'll come look you up. I'm a member of GABMA and I've been going to British In The Blue Ridge for over 20 years now. I only live about 10 miles east of Hiawassee on 40 acres in the middle of the woods. I'll likely be riding my 68 Triumph Bonneville. My cell is 706-994-5704. Looking forward to exchanging tales. The BIBR rally is really good and they even give away a motorcycle in a drawing. This year it's a 1969 Triumph Bonneville.
Gary
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com