Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
MikeJ
MikeJ
San Mateo, CA USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
11 members (KevRasen, desco, D.Bachtel, wilksville, John Harvey, Spitfire Ken, Magnetoman, triton thrasher, konon, M.Gunderson, Stuart Kirk), 44 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, HayMike
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Waterloo John
Waterloo John
Here I go again. I appreciate all of the advice I have been given with the final start up stage of my 1970 TR6R refurbishment.

The bike is now running and I have been for a shakedown run and everything seems to be working as it should.

One challenge is a pesky oil leak at the oil feed line junction. I am getting a slow oil seepage where the upper tube is connected to the fitting at the bottom of the oil filter screen. It leaked right from the start, so I drained the oil, took everything apart and installed a new upper tube and nut. After re-assembly and putting the oil back in, i had the same issue.

I repeated the above and thoroughly cleaned the threads on the oil feed and because the new upper tube was chrome, I thought i would use the original upper tube with a good clean up. I took the extra precaution of coating the threads with Loctite sealer.

Reinstalled the oil and after sitting for about 10 minutes ... here comes the slow seepage again. It appears to be coming out the bottom of the nut holding the upper tube against the oil filter fitting. Everything is super tight, so am wondering if I need a more aggressive sealant on the oil filter fitting threads?

Thank you for any advice.
John
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by koan58
koan58
The threads are (should not be) involved in the sealing.

The sealing is done by the external tapered end of the spigot being clamped into the internal taper of the filter fitting.

There may be a fault in one of these tapers, inspect them closely.

The clamping of the hose doesn’t look convincing, it is possible that it leaks from there, confusing the issue. Is the hose a good tight fit onto the spigot?
Also there are better hose clamps available.

You could leave the hose off, and block the hole in the spigot. You would then see if the oil is leaking from the taper.
If it doesn’t leak from the taper, then its leaking from the hose connection.
2 members like this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com