Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
MikeJ
MikeJ
San Mateo, CA USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
8 members (BigBars, NYBSAGUY, harvey_mushman, Morgan aka admin, Bob Fletcher, Nate stuch, L.A.B., Hugh Jörgen), 30 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Gordon Gray
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#851087 06/08/2021 6:56 PM
by Stuart
Stuart
Hi All,

Curious if anyone else has come across this ...

Helping a local guy, his bike's a '66 3TA, helping him fit the new alternator I persuaded him to buy ... whistle He removed the old rotor, I ask him if he's tried the new (Wassell) rotor; he hasn't; when we do, it doesn't fit ... Check with the old rotor, it slides on the crank with a light push.

Inspecting the new rotor, whoever made the keyway mainly does carpentry - it looks like a dovetail joint. facepalm I call down plagues upon Wassell ...

Hauled it to a proper engineer, he confirms (with expensive calipers) the centre of the Wassell rotor is exactly .750" ... and the old rotor is .753" ...

I checked with TMS - who've been a Britbike dealer since Britbikes were made in Meriden, Birmingham and Plumstead; they say they've never known an oversize crankshaft ... and corresponding rotor centre. confused

Regards,
Liked Replies
#851160 Jun 9th a 08:58 AM
by Stuart
Stuart
Hi,
Originally Posted by tridentt150v
So can the wassell centre be opened to 0.753" by a machinist?
Yes, no problem. I was just curious if anyone else had come across an oversize crankshaft?

"Tinkerer Too" suggested on triumphrat the crank might've been hammered by a DPO and then the rotor reamed to fit over the enlargement. I'm pretty sure I didn't see that ... but now I have to go back and check ...

Regards,
1 member likes this
#851174 Jun 9th a 11:39 AM
by Mike Baker
Mike Baker
Me 3.
But I've seen a lot of buggered cranks.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com