Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
MikeJ
MikeJ
San Mateo, CA USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
8 members (BigBars, NYBSAGUY, harvey_mushman, Morgan aka admin, Bob Fletcher, Nate stuch, L.A.B., Hugh Jörgen), 30 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Allan G
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by DavidP
DavidP
I'm asking for my brother who is rewiring his '71 T120.
I always assumed that UK models had the dip switch on the left and the signals on the right, while US models were the reverse. He ordered #54033666, which in both my '72 T120V and T150V parts books is identified as the left hand switch. What he got was the headlight dip switch.
I'm confused. Both of my parts books show 3666 as the LH switch. BUT, the wiring diagram in the Bonneville shop manual shows the left switch with the wires for the headlight, while the Trident shop manual is reversed, with the left having the wires for the turn signals. The late wiring diagram in Haynes shows the same thing, as does the UK wiring diagram I downloaded from TR3OC.
My Bonneville came with switches, but I don't remember which was on which side before I cleaned the switches and wired the bike. My Trident came with original switches, headlight on right, TS on left.
I've never ordered these switches by number. I just buy them at swap meets and rebuild if necessary.
So, what's the deal? When was the change made from left to right, and on what models?
Liked Replies
by L.A.B.
L.A.B.
Originally Posted by DavidP
I always assumed that UK models had the dip switch on the left and the signals on the right, while US models were the reverse.

According to J R Nelson's 'Bonnie' book, for 1972, "In response to public demand and press criticism, the handlebar switches were reversed, to provide the horn push, dip switch and handlebar flasher button on the right...etc" the exact opposite to what Norton did in '72, reversing the switch clusters due to "customer demand for right-hand direction indicator operation"!

Originally Posted by quinten
DOT ( U.S. Department of Transportation )
mandated handlebars switch locations
to be standardized for
motorcycles sold in the USA in 1974 ... or was it 75 ?

= 1975 however, for the T140 etc. due to the Meriden sit-in the first would be 1976 model year (as the few 1975 model year T140s were built to 1974 specification with LH brake, RH gearchange etc.).
Also due to the US regulations, the switch clusters were redesigned as switches had to be labelled and a push-button kill switch was no longer allowed.
1 member likes this
by Stuart
Stuart
Hi Allan,
Originally Posted by Allan G
clusters with a red paddle instead of the dip switch. What became the dipswich on these units/clusters?
They were paired with a 181SA switch cluster on the left 'bar.

push to make button for the starter motor?
IIrc, the button above the red paddle kill switch was wired for the starter.

Not well known is the red paddle kill switch cluster seems to have been a late development just for the T160; there was going to be a right-hand equivalent of the 181SA - few made, none used, they come up for sale every now-and-then. Afaict, not used because the twistgrip was still separate, so the rider needed the special factory 6" thumb to reach the kill switch ... facepalm These two clusters became the black 187SA fitted first to the electric-start Commando and then the '79-on twins, the right-hand one incorporating the twistgrip. Not sure why they couldn't have been fitted to the T160 ... confused

Hth.

Regards,
1 member likes this
by L.A.B.
L.A.B.
Originally Posted by L.A.B.
Also due to the US regulations, the switch clusters were redesigned as switches had to be labelled and a push-button kill switch was no longer allowed.

I have seen these clusters with a red paddle instead of the dip switch. What became the dipswich on these units/clusters? I’m imagining a but with something like a latching relay? And if so was there another push to make button for the starter motor?

RH, Start (top) kill (red) unused (bottom)
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

LH, Dipswitch (HI-Lo), direction indicators and horn (although my T160's cluster has a combined horn/headlamp flasher button).
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com