Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Morgan aka admin
Morgan aka admin
Sävedalen, Sweden
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 88
Allan G 56
kevin 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 33
Newest Members
Jim Harris, Cuppy, budpotter, Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK
12,160 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (Magnetoman, Hugh Jörgen, Noe, JubeePrince, bsalloyd), 22 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,310
Posts772,624
Members12,160
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, desco, KevRasen, kommando
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#850858 06/06/2021 12:13 PM
by Waterloo John
Waterloo John
Hey guys
I need some help with the oil line routing on my 1970 TR6R. i started up a fresh engine rebuild yesterday and of course looked immediately for oil returning, but there was none. I shut the engine off and drained the oil, then switched the oil lines at the steel tubes from the oil pump. i did have the outside line routed to the oil tank return, Would anyone be able to tell me if the outside line should be the feed line?
Thanks
John
Attached Images
Liked Replies
#850993 Jun 7th a 03:27 PM
by triton thrasher
triton thrasher
Originally Posted by Dibnah
Given the cost and grief of an engine rebuild if lubrication is insufficient then surely a means to easily pressurise the lubrication system without turning the engine would make sense.

https://www.bes.co.uk/oil-line-suction-pump-16392/

[Linked Image from cdn-1.au.xmsymphony.com]
2 members like this
#850888 Jun 6th a 07:39 PM
by koan58
koan58
Did you add say 300ml to the crankcase? Do you have a filter on the return line?

If you start it up again I would hope the oil light would go out almost immediately, does it?
1 member likes this
#850859 Jun 6th a 01:00 PM
by Allan G
Allan G
If you do a fresh engine build, or even the pump. The pump and oil system will want priming. Without having the engine running you can remove the oprv and kick the engine over (with the plugs out) until you see oil coming out of the oprv port. Once you have done this you have confirmed that the oil lines the correct way around and that within a short space of time the crank will be full of oil and feeding the big ends.

Did you assemble the motor with engine oil or engine assembly lube on the big end shells? Engine assembly oil is like treacle but stays with the journal until sufficient oil flow washes it away.
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com