Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
wilksville
wilksville
manchester england
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 80
Allan G 54
kevin 52
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 31
gunner 27
Newest Members
budpotter, Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK, cherbini, grahamsmythe
12,158 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (koncretekid, quinten, Steve Erickson, TR6Ray), 23 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,301
Posts772,503
Members12,158
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, BSA_WM20
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#850479 06/02/2021 2:56 AM
by Mark Z
Mark Z
This is a follow-on to the "electrical problems make my head hurt" thread. I did some testing, and realized that I had posted some erroneous information in that thread, so I want to set the record straight.

This test is of a healthy 11AH AGM battery after charging, with a voltmeter across the battery terminals. Static voltage (nothing on) is 12.8 volts. When I turn on the ignition, the voltage drops to 12.3, but then immediately climbs back up to 12.5. (This is apparently the result of the ignition module energizing the coil and then de-energizing when no signal is received from the trigger mechanism.) Now I turn on the headlight, which is a sealed-beam automotive headlamp, I believe 45-55 Watts. Note, the taillight is also on, and of course the ignition is still on. Voltage drops to and remains steady at 12.1.

When everything is disconnected (turned off), battery voltage recovers to 12.7.

An unhealthy battery will read lower when loaded, to a varying degree, and won't recover into the high 12's when unloaded.
Liked Replies
#852684 Jun 29th a 07:24 PM
by RF Whatley
RF Whatley
Automotive batteries "recover" due to their chemical nature. Batteries do not behave like other electrical devices in that they have more than a simple ON and and OFF state. They develop what is called a "surface charge" which can give a VERY misleading, higher voltage reading. Because of this phenomenon, the surface charge must be bled off before a typical VOM can make sense of a battery's state of health. Most shops would use a device called a Battery Load Tester. The BLT is nothing more than a calibrated resistor that can knock off the surface charge in a couple of seconds, combined with a volt meter.

About 15 years ago, we here on BB.C developed what we thought was a workable equivalent to test battery life in a standard home shop. It consisted of charging the battery, turning the headlamp ON for a timed 2 minutes, and THEN immediately taking the voltage reading.

If you don't use one of the profession battery testing devices, or the BB.C method, then all bets are off. Despite very good intentions, you're just fooling yourself with a hand-held VOM.

Hope this helps.
2 members like this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com