Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
The Bonneville Shop
The Bonneville Shop
Broomfield, Colorado, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 22 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Neil1964
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#850070 05/26/2021 7:07 PM
by Neil1964
Neil1964
Any else have any particularly important tips on this conversion?

I've picked up some empty cases and will prepare them for the cluster. I have the Nova instructions.

The existing box will occasionally drop out of gear and the kickstart occasionally jam as well as the gap between 2nd and 3rd too big.

Does the kickstart jamming relate to a specific issue (I understand it is not uncommon on pre-unit BSA boxes) is it just wear in the ratchet, bushes or a bit of everything - ie has anyone a reliable cure for kickstart jamming that I can use to eliminate it on a gearbox rebuild (I was going to use my existing outer cover and speedo drive.

I understand that the casing needs fettling and the drive side bush gets replaced directly with a needle roller, although there is no mention of a thrust washer which is usually required in my experience?

I will keep the touring footpegs but go for up for up and down for down (my Triumph days hangover!).
Liked Replies
by Andy Higham
Andy Higham
The Nova cluster comes with all thrust washers required.
The jamming kickstart is mainly down to a worn ratchet gear, relatively cheap to replace.
You will need to do a bit of trimming of the slot in the sandwich plate, some main casings need a tickle with the Dremel too

The Nova 5 speed has transformed my Goldie rep
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com