Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
North Carolina
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 84
NickL 71
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 23
Newest Members
bradders, tizianouk, Breeze, FORTYTWO, TomV
11,929 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (pidjones, TR7RVMan), 22 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Gordon Gray, GrandPaul, MikeG, PINEMONKEY, ricochetrider
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#849890 05/24/2021 8:38 PM
by edunham
edunham
I have just about sorted my mongrel BSA B50. It runs great, have the starting issues pretty much sorted (more on that below), put the big Grimeca 4 leading shoe on (works somewhat better, but really looks the business). Had one more thing I wanted to do. Make some brass screens for the vents in the Grimeca. I have the bike on my Home Depot lift up at waist level, with tie downs front and rear. Jack the front up, which involves loosening the front tie downs and tightening the rears. Get some jack stands under the frame and start taking the front wheel off. After I drop the wheel, turns out, I need another 1/4" to slide the wheel out. Start to figure out how I am going to do that, when I notice one of the jack stands is leaning. go to push it straight, and both jack stands go over and the whole plot starts to tip over. Remember, it's 4' in the air, front wheel isn't attached, and over a concrete floor. I grab the bike and I am holding it up. I yell for my wife, but she is inside the house and cannot hear me. Finally, I hold the bike with one hand, reach in my pocket and pull out my cell phone and call her using one hand (I am not usually that skilled). She comes out, helps me steady everything, and lower the lift. Meanwhile the, back tire starts sliding down the rear of the bench. The bike comes to a stop resting on its crankcase. During the process, the front wheel, while not attached, and the axle outside of the studs in the fork lowers, gets in the way of my alloy fender, which is twisted like a pretzel and creased. Next day, a couple of buddies come over and we lift the bike up and put it on a milk crate with tie downs. I will need a new fender, but it could have been a lot worse. I would have been really unhappy if the pretty alloy tank had been damaged.
I have been paying the sins of a misspent youth for some time. At 17, I had a compound fracture of the femur and multiple compound fractures of the tibia and fibula of my left leg. Subsequently I snapped the left patella in half. At this stage, I have stenosis in my lower back resulting in sciatica going down my right leg, plantar fascitis in both feet, occasional neuropathy, no meniscus in either knee, and the one way valves in the blood system have been damaged which means my ankles and calves swell up. If I was a horse, I would have gone to the glue factory long ago. So of course all of my bikes are kick starters because, well, that is how you start proper motorcycles.
As a result of all this I am pretty well acquainted with pain. I have learned to live with it and have a pretty high threshold before I let it interfere with what I want to do. Well this Friday, I was walking the dog, and all of a sudden there was a twinge in my left leg. The kind that tells you something bad has happened. By the time I got home, I was hobbling even more than usual. Ice, the recliner, a stiff cocktail and a good nights sleep, and it felt better the next morning. By 2 in the afternoon, though, after the above fun with the BSA, I was clenching my teeth. More ice, more recliner time, and more cocktails. Same thing Sunday, only it didn't get better. Today I am at work on a cane. I have a doctor's visit lined up for Wednesday. I have a feeling it won't be good news. I have a feeling that I am going to have to get a motorcycle with an electric start.
Liked Replies
#849964 May 25th a 01:57 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
I’m with GP........I don’t “like” this post Mr Ed.

That push button does have its appeal......... and I know a fellow that would take good care of that B50. 😅

Not letting the buzzards start circling yet just trying to show support.

Heal quickly my friend.

Gordon

Among us here on the list, nothing wrong with a friendly "Hey, we're hoping for the best, but if you don't make it, can I have your BSA?"

Guys can do that; girls never would! 😉

Lannis
3 members like this
#849977 May 25th a 06:08 PM
by edunham
edunham
Gordon was a great help. The engine in question was built by someone out of replacement cases. The kicker was binding. I would take it apart and all the bits would be fine. Put it back together and the kick starter would rebound a couple of times and then start binding up again. Then the kicking action itself would start binding to. Eventually, I changed the outer cover for one with a "seasoned" bush. Now all is well (except for the knee at this point, and I need to replace the fender). Oh well, if I was a horse, my name would be Elmer.

Ed from NJ
3 members like this
#850111 May 27th a 01:57 PM
by edunham
edunham
I got a shot of cortisone in the knee and its feeling a lot better. I am optimistic about Mid-Ohio now. Doctor says I have more of a meniscus than I thought I did in the left leg and its torn. Doesn't want to go in fix it because of other issues and the cortisone may take care of things. Found a replacement alloy fender on EBay for a reasonable price (remember when you could get them $20 new... sigh). So things are moving along. No workshop photos. I have one of those lifts that goes under the bike and lifts both wheels off the ground. Should have used that. But the bike was on the bench and I have jacked up the front and used tiedowns and jack stands in the past before to remove wheels without incident. Plus the lift was packed away and I was lazy. Oh well live and learn. Thanks for everyone's well wishes.

Ed from NJ
3 members like this
#849971 May 25th a 03:29 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
I have a connection to Ed’s B50. Ed got the engine from me back during an Anna auction. I pretty much gave him the engine ( and delivered it) in exchange for him making a donation. Ed and I just a couple of weeks back were trying to sort out a kickstart problem on his B50 so he knows where I’m coming from........good natured kidding between friends.

Sometimes it’s hard to see the whole picture from an Internet post. 😁

I just got a bike from Richrd......I paid for it and it’s in my possession but it will always be Richrds as long as I have it.

Just saying

Gordon
2 members like this
#850045 May 26th a 11:21 AM
by PINEMONKEY
PINEMONKEY
Honestly I need another B50 like I need another penis. Then I’d have something else that’s just hanging around not getting used much. 😂

BSAing ya.....Gordon

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAaaaa... phew.
I just spit coffee...
Nice one.
2 members like this
#849963 May 25th a 01:50 PM
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Uff da, Ed!

Growing UP is rough enough, growing OLD really sucks tho. So I hear, anyway! laugh

Glad the bike wasn't hurt worse, glad you weren't hurt worse, and hope herr doktor doesn't give you any news that will kill your life-joy altogether. Hang in there daddy o, let's hope for the best.

As for a push-button bike... I've had a few, and may have a few more yet before all is said & done. By now there are plenty of options for a vintage (ish) bike with electric start. So it's not all bad in that realm, brother.

At some point, riding is riding, and not riding is, well... not riding.
And nobody wants to not ride.
We do what we must, eh?

Meanwhile do take it easy on the hardware, both your own and the bike's. smile
1 member likes this
#849961 May 25th a 01:33 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
That sux Ed, hope you get to feeling better soon. I came close to tipping my Suzuki Bandit off the lift this past winter. Had it gone it would have been like dominoes taking taking all my neatly lined up bikes next to the lift. Luckily I was between it and the BSA, and it had tipped toward me rather than away, making it easier to stand back up but I still felt it for a few days after.
1 member likes this
#849950 May 25th a 11:45 AM
by bodine031
bodine031
Wow glad you were not hurt worse. Bike damage can be repaired. You might consider mounting a small boat winch above the bike lift to pickup the frontend.
1 member likes this
#849943 May 25th a 10:34 AM
by pushrod tom
pushrod tom
Ed, Nightmare! Hope you can heal up and get back in the game. Best wishes, PRT
1 member likes this
#849898 May 24th a 09:56 PM
by GrandPaul
GrandPaul
I'm NOT going to click "Like".

I haven't healed properly from my broken right leg last year, and didn't do a proper post-op "therapy" (100% my fault).

It's not easy getting old(er)...
1 member likes this
#850044 May 26th a 11:11 AM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Mr Ed I wasn’t much help but sometimes it helps to have someone to talk to about a problem while you’re trying to sort it out.

I do hope you heal quickly and the news today is all positive.

Honestly I need another B50 like I need another penis. Then I’d have something else that’s just hanging around not getting used much. 😂

BSAing ya.....Gordon
1 member likes this
#850055 May 26th a 03:20 PM
by MikeG
MikeG

BSAing ya.....Gordon

You just need a smaller one.....cylinder that is... and an extra one..as in A50
1 member likes this
#850107 May 27th a 12:17 PM
by PINEMONKEY
PINEMONKEY
Originally Posted by Lannis
Yep, I've had a B50 quit working right in the middle of a ride.... Very embarrassing.

And when something goes wrong with them, it can hurt a lot, and take forever to get anywhere.

One of the benefits of group rides is that when things stop working you can always ask one someone for a hand.
1 member likes this
#850108 May 27th a 12:29 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Originally Posted by PINEMONKEY
One of the benefits of group rides is that when things stop working you can always ask someone for a hand.

😂 you’re killing me..... 😂

Hope Mr Ed got some good news yesterday??

Gordon
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com