Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
kevin
kevin
ohio, usa
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 84
NickL 69
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 23
Newest Members
bradders, tizianouk, Breeze, FORTYTWO, TomV
11,929 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (TR6Ray, Stuart Kirk, BeezaBryan), 15 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Big Al in York, Mark Parker
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#849696 05/23/2021 1:05 AM
by Mike Baker
Mike Baker
Picked up a couple of Harmon and Collins b range Triumph cams recently. They are stamped 6534 which I have found is a .365 lift and 270 degree grind. What I have measured is more like .326 lift which is what their 7054 cam was(is). Either way, I'm going to try them and see what happens. They have a big fat profile like T140 cams so maybe good for some top end.
Anyway, they are welded and reground as was a pretty common practice at one time. They look nice, not been used. So, anybody know if these were typically hardened when they were made? If not, think it may be possible to have them nitrided like I have done to my cranks?
Thanks in advance to all the historians and metallurgists.
Liked Replies
#849727 May 23rd a 11:30 AM
by Hillbilly bike
Hillbilly bike
I had Web Cams weld and face harden cams for my double engine bike a few years ago. I believe it was/is common practice to use a hard overlay...but I cannot say for sure.
Most Triumph performance cams are set up around 105 degrees lobe centers, intake and exhaust.
1 member likes this
#849944 May 25th a 10:39 AM
by Mike Baker
Mike Baker
Thanks for measuring MTT. Measuring a 3134 seems to work in that if base circle is subtracted from height, it works out to very close to factory lift specs. But I can see where that may not hold true for everything.
These cams were cheap and I'm a sucker for any hot rod part that doesn't come with a hot rod part price. And I'm always interested to know what can be gained or lost with them. Having the Hall boys nearby with their dyno and their similar curiosity makes it easy, relatively.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com