Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
Triumph 650/750 High-Output Alternator Kit
by The Bonneville Shop - 01/13/23 11:29 pm
New FAQ post
Missing edit button
by wrench136 - 05/30/22 2:57 pm
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 01/28/23 3:01 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
Gold members! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 6:30 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
British Fasteners Specs
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 1:29 pm
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Tridentman
Tridentman
New Jersey USA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 76
DavidP 64
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 36
DavidP 25
Newest Members
sam keller, Raz, HermDawg, 47sqfour, Blackdoctor
12,383 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,514
Posts783,703
Members12,383
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Thread Like Summary
Allan G, bon
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by steve-d
steve-d
Hello all,

When riding, at first it has a normal idle and runs well. Once warmed up, the idle doesn't properly drop down when throttle is backed off. Obviously it is a problem when shifting to have the neutral rpm around 3-3500. Not only that, coasting to a stop light with such an idle results in fighting the bike's speed with the brakes. Have to do all the down shifting at a stop with clutch lever pulled in.

Points and timing are properly set. Throttle slides are synchronized and it will idle around 1200 rpm when not fully hot. Yes, I have to keep the throttle slightly increased when cold to keep from stalling, but it only lasts a little while. The air bleed circuit is properly cleaned with a wire and I removed the screw and shot brake cleaner into the screw hole to force out any debris. I installed the screw and set it to 1 1/8. Seems good.

It doesn't appear to be a gasket leak at carb or the intake manifold. I verified by spraying starting fluid around carb gaskets and there's no reaction.

I'm thinking the only thing left is one or both slides are hanging up when hot. I loosened one nut on each carb without positive result. Loosened it only one flat. I thought the carbs might be over tightened but they weren't. I put the nut back into place using the Goldilocks method.

Anyone care to give opinions re slides hanging up? I did clean the carbs when I received the bike, but didn't pay attention to the slides moving sweetly and only paid attention to the cleaning of the units.

Thanks very much. Steve
Liked Replies
by triton thrasher
triton thrasher
You set the idle speed and mixture when the engine is fully warm.

It should not idle reliably when cold.
2 members like this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com