Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
JubeePrince
JubeePrince
Maryland, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
11 members (Ken Rowark, Mirko, kevin, Tigernuts, John Harvey, desco, Robert Dentico, Stuart Kirk, Alex g, ducati2242, koncretekid), 34 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, gavin eisler, Kevin E, NickL
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#848743 05/12/2021 12:05 PM
by Snakepitt
Snakepitt
My 68 A65L with a Boyer ignition only starts if i reverse the black/yellow and black/white leads going from the pickup plate to the ignition box. I used the timing plug adapter to lock the crank at 34 BTDC. Curious why?
Liked Replies
#848748 May 12th a 12:30 PM
by kommando
kommando
Maybe a wiring error inside the box, at least Pazon have been caught out with this error and reversing the leads to connect wrongly fixed the wrong wiring in the box. But also note there are 2 holes on the stator/pickup plate for the magnet to line up, one for clockwise and one for anti clockwise rotor rotation, if you pick the wrong one then the reverse of wires could get you started but the advance will be goosed.
2 members like this
#848907 May 14th a 02:39 AM
by Tridentman
Tridentman
I spent my working career in manufacturing engineering.
We had a saying "the guy who never made a mistake never made anything".
2 members like this
#848751 May 12th a 01:00 PM
by kommando
kommando
Originally Posted by Kevin E
Hi Snakepitt,

As far as I know the Boyer system runs with what is known as a wasted spark, so basically both coils are triggered simultaneously, so you get a spark on the compression stroke and a spark on the exhaust stroke. Hence the term wasted spark.

With this system it shouldn't make any difference which way the trigger wires from the engine are connected.

The trigger wires being reverse connected does make a difference, on a box correctly wired internally then if you reverse connect the 2 trigger wires then the timing is wrong and the advance curve is messed up too.

If it starts then to check if it is fully working you have to strobe it, as the revs increase the timing should advance, if the wires are reversed then the spark timing will not advance unless the wiring inside the box is also wrong.
1 member likes this
#848763 May 12th a 02:05 PM
by gunner
gunner
I would check the wiring end to end, it may be that somewhere along the harness the wires are wrongly connected but you cant see it because its covered with sheathing/insulation tape or whatever. So by connecting the wires apparently the wrong way you are actually correcting an existing misconnection.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com