Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Denis J
Denis J
Sacramento, CA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
BeezaBryan, Gordon Gray, Howard Inough, Mike Muir, MikeG, PINEMONKEY
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#847853 05/03/2021 12:44 AM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
OK I spent yesterday and today running the roads for the route this year. it looks like it will be some where in the 175 mile range. as usual trail days will keep us out of Damascus. we will run it from the campground and the first gas stop will be about 50 miles out. met with the owner and masks are required and restrooms are closed as the comunistwelth of VA hit him hard. the second stop will again be what was our first gas stop of old and will also be the lunch stop. i have included a trip down the goat path but to do this there will be about 5 miles of the same roads to do this but i think it is worth it

I will need a head count for the BAR B Q after the ride so i can get this set up..
Liked Replies
#848441 May 8th a 06:06 PM
by Richrd
Richrd
All loaded up this morning I am on my way just decided to come early came through a small town in Missouri has two colleges which means lots of college girls. Got myself invited into an apartment for a cup of coffee. anyway, must have a structural problem, there is this poleholding the ceiling up.
Attached Images
2 members like this
#849245 May 18th a 05:22 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by DPO
Good to be home, my fears about the States self induce gas shortage proved to be a non issue. I chose to be the 5th bike out on Saturday morning when the ride began, no particular reason....

Mark, it was good to see you again after all this time. I was riding two bikes behind you, and you looked like you were doing fine, if you were uncomfortable you were hiding it well!

Group rides are funny things and you have to get used to them, and make little adjustments as you go. We all brake at slightly different places, we all ride at slightly different places in the lane, we have different ideas about what a good speed is through a curve.

For example, there are some folks who are willing to ride into a blind hairpin turn with a rock ledge on the inside at a speed where, if there were a stalled truck, a fallen rock, or a fallen tree in the road just around the curve, they could not POSSIBLY stop in time to avoid a crash and getting hurt or killed. I just have a different idea about the risk vs. benefit ratio ... in other words, the pleasure of laying it over hard in blind turns does NOT compensate for the risk of damage and pain IF there is an unexpected barrier or gravel wash in the road. For some people, it's obviously worth it. For me, even though I know I'm taking an unnatural risk just by BEING on a motorcycle on a twisty mountain road with a 200 foot drop on one side, THAT particular corner-speed risk is not worth it, so I do not ride around a turn at a speed that does not allow me to stop in time if there's something there.

So just because THEY are willing to take the risk, or enjoy standing on the pegs and leaning into a turn, that should not bother me too much. I will not ride close enough to them to get hurt with them if the worst happens, and ESPECIALLY I will not consider my manhood at risk if I do not ride as fast as they do or otherwise try to keep up with what they are doing. Everyone ride their own ride.

Next time, we can be at the "back of the line" and ride whatever speed makes it into a relaxed tour, where you can enjoy the ride, and enjoy hanging out with everyone at the gas and lunch stops. Sort of adjust as you go along and don't do anything uncomfortable. The chase truck isn't going to pass you, doesn't matter how far back you drop.

And I've got plenty of experience, when I finally pull into the gas stop where the rest of the group is hanging out, with their drinks half empty and their cigarettes smoked all the way down already, of listening to "Well, you finally got here!" and "What, did your bike quit on you?" or "You'd think a BSA could go a little faster than THAT; you need a tune-up?" Most of that is just good-natured raillery and doesn't mean a thing, and the part that isn't, is just guys swinging their big balls around to see if you'll notice what a bull-goose rider they are. Just ignore that bit, it doesn't hurt and there isn't much of it .... !

There is something to be said to either say or think "PLEASE don't cross the double-yellow on a blind curve to make a pass. If you end up in a Dodge Ram grill, it's going to ruin it for the rest of us!" Just gotta be tactful if you can ... !

My 21st year in a row, I think, and I enjoy every ride regardless of who else is there ...

Lannis
2 members like this
#848146 May 5th a 03:38 PM
by HughdeMann
HughdeMann
I'll be there, and rumor has it there just might be a Whatley along also.
1 member likes this
#848140 May 5th a 02:15 PM
by Richrd
Richrd
did y ou count yourself?
1 member likes this
#848138 May 5th a 01:44 PM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
so so far it looks like 13?

hughdamann cabin
semper gumby
richard
mike g
no name
david p
lannis
tom sanders
david atlanta
dpo ?
dick page
jack adams + 1
1 member likes this
#848159 May 5th a 06:51 PM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
Originally Posted by Mr Mike
Had planned to make it this year but am having some surgery on the Friday before so I won't be making it. I was ready to bring my tent and camping stuff. Even cranked the B50. Started on the first kick after sitting all winter. You guys have a fun and a safe ride and I hope to see you guys next year. Sorry to hear about the BRI not being available. The only constant in life is change.

Mr Mike

take care of your self and maybe we will see you next year.
1 member likes this
#848142 May 5th a 02:54 PM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
Originally Posted by Richrd
did y ou count yourself?

no I don't count
1 member likes this
#848249 May 6th a 07:29 PM
by Richrd
Richrd
that better?
1 member likes this
#848248 May 6th a 06:51 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
What a out Tom

He. Would grab your fenders

Rich.

Put DOWN the beer. Now, for your own good. Or else stop typing upside down and backward in the dark ..... !!

Lannis
1 member likes this
#848244 May 6th a 05:26 PM
by Richrd
Richrd
What about Tom

He could grab your fenders for you.

(directed at Wade}
1 member likes this
#848255 May 6th a 08:08 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
CHOWDA!!!!
1 member likes this
#848419 May 8th a 03:28 PM
by No Name Man
No Name Man
Mike, that's well said. Hope you can make it but if not, hope to see you at the next thing whatever that is.
1 member likes this
#848357 May 7th a 10:00 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
Originally Posted by bill50cal
mike do what you feel you have to family is more important the this ride.

I consider some of y'all family. The list of people that I'm willing to go on any kind of group ride with is pretty small but everybody thats in so far is on it. I was in Philly for my mothers funeral 4 years ago, a week or so before the TSMR when, I got the news about Ben Strain's passing. Sounds strange, but I'm not sure which hit me harder. My mother was 99 and had not been 100% for a while, it was expected. It's harder when somebody goes out on an errand and never comes back.
1 member likes this
#848405 May 8th a 02:00 PM
by DPO
DPO
Green light here, T minus 4 days till blast off!
1 member likes this
#848453 May 8th a 08:17 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Make sure she brews up a fresh pot of coffee for breakfast ... it gets bitter if it sits overnight and you have to warm it back up .....

Lannis
1 member likes this
#848656 May 11th a 12:07 PM
by D.W.R.
D.W.R.
Yes Rich, did it the first time about 10 years ago! Nice hiking trail up there, not to be taken while drinking!!! smile
1 member likes this
#848843 May 13th a 01:09 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
The Norton is packed up and ready to go, looks like a beautiful day, I'll head to Mountain City first and unload, then over the Snake to Windy's this evening ....

Lannis
1 member likes this
#848836 May 13th a 11:02 AM
by MikeG
MikeG
Sitting in my brothers kitchen with a nice hot cup of coffee....getting ready for a breakfast of scrapple and eggs then a ride out into that nice countryside that RichochetRider is always taking such nice photos of.. Ride safe and don't forget your gas rationing cards!
1 member likes this
#848834 May 13th a 10:48 AM
by Richrd
Richrd
From SBC, no one has died, gumbbysnuck in about 2AM so no one would see that he trailers, and the weather is invigorating
1 member likes this
#848802 May 12th a 10:24 PM
by DPO
DPO
I may head that way Friday morning depending on the gas situation.....
1 member likes this
#848794 May 12th a 06:41 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by MikeG
I guess there's worse times I could have missed than this. Sitting here with my dad in PA wishing I could be with you down there with you worrying about fuel bit duty calls. I have managed to get out into the Chester county area a bit on the Norton,but now I don't know what to do with those three nice Dominican cigars I have. Somebody have a beer around the fire for me, and I'll see you next time.

Well, you're doing the right thing. I said goodnight to my Dad, hale and healthy, on October 5th 1967. Heard a few noises during the night but went back to sleep.

Never saw him again. He dropped dead in his tracks of a massive heart attack (his second one, age 39) in front of the bathroom sink about midnight. Woke up the next morning, ambulance and coroner had been and gone, no Dad.

We'll see you next time!! There's a time for everything.

Lannis
1 member likes this
#848783 May 12th a 05:08 PM
by Semper Gumby
Semper Gumby
,but now I don't know what to do with those three nice Dominican cigars I have. Somebody have a beer around the fire for me, and I'll see you next time.

overnite them to windy and we will take care of those for you. problem solved!
1 member likes this
#848781 May 12th a 04:58 PM
by Semper Gumby
Semper Gumby
I'm going to Trailer. Bringing the rocket 3. I'm coming up I75 to I81. Marlin should be there by now. I think he found gas in Ashville of al the crazy things. I'm bringing a 5 gallon can of hightest and a 5 gallon can of Noethanol 87. I was going to ride the BMW but it just didn't seem right to not bring a britbike to a britbike rally so there.
1 member likes this
#848772 May 12th a 03:06 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
I guess there's worse times I could have missed than this. Sitting here with my dad in PA wishing I could be with you down there with you worrying about fuel bit duty calls. I have managed to get out into the Chester county area a bit on the Norton,but now I don't know what to do with those three nice Dominican cigars I have. Somebody have a beer around the fire for me, and I'll see you next time.
1 member likes this
#848762 May 12th a 02:03 PM
by Richrd
Richrd
I'll trust the goddess of Norton's to provide.
1 member likes this
#848761 May 12th a 01:55 PM
by DPO
DPO
General store says they should have gas today or tomorrow

And how do we fuel up several bikes through 175 miles and 3 states? Has someone got a tanker truck to follow? I’ve called several gas stations in that area, and they ALL are out....
1 member likes this
#848759 May 12th a 01:38 PM
by Richrd
Richrd
General store says they should have gas today or tomorrow
1 member likes this
#848758 May 12th a 01:28 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Only 250 miles or so from north Georgia to Shady Valley ... ought to be able to make that on one tank, carry a few spare gallons in the bed, Windy'll know a guy who knows a guy I'm sure to tank up to get home ... ?

Lannis
1 member likes this
#848756 May 12th a 01:14 PM
by DPO
DPO
I’m out as well, unless I see some kind of assurance that gas will be available. Just too far under the circumstances.
1 member likes this
#848740 May 12th a 10:58 AM
by David in Atlanta
David in Atlanta
With gas as it is, I'm not going to attend.

frown
1 member likes this
#848713 May 12th a 03:24 AM
by DavidP
DavidP
Wotan is full of petrol and on the trailer. I filled the van yesterday. I took Mr Jim out for a ride today, before deciding to bring the Trident. Paid $3.80 for non-ethanol premium, been a while since it took $10 to fill a small tank.
I might drain a couple of gallons into a can before I depart.
Nothing left to pack but the cooler. We'll see y'all around the campfire. laugh
1 member likes this
#848693 May 11th a 10:22 PM
by Ob1quixote
Ob1quixote
lol!
1 member likes this
#848690 May 11th a 09:39 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Well, I guess it will be. Me and windy

You'll make a lovely couple I'm sure. I'll be there to chaperone, though, otherwise people might get to talking.

Lannis
1 member likes this
#848683 May 11th a 08:46 PM
by Richrd
Richrd
Well, I guess it will be. Me and windy
1 member likes this
#848681 May 11th a 07:53 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by DPO
This may need to be re-scheduled.......I’m not gonna make a 4 hour drive if I can’t get gas......

Maybe it'll ease up in the next couple of days. I'm 5 hours away by bike myself.

Sometimes it's worth taking a chance, sometimes not. A few years back, the Blowing Rock region was a flood disaster area during our week, roads and homes washing away, you never knew what you'd find around the next curve. I felt bad about coming down to "play" while people were losing their homes and livelihoods. Probably wouldn't do THAT again.

This is a little different, like planning a trip to a part of the world where you buy gas a liter at a time, poured out of a soda bottle in someone's front yard. Not fatal consequences if it goes south, just inconvenience....

Lannis
1 member likes this
#848677 May 11th a 07:21 PM
by DPO
DPO
This may need to be re-scheduled.......I’m not gonna make a 4 hour drive if I can’t get gas......
1 member likes this
#848908 May 14th a 02:39 AM
by Semper Gumby
Semper Gumby
Had breakfast at the Shady store....eggs and home fries. Marlins bike proved too cold blooded this morning. So Dick and I followed RICHARD south over the snake for about 70 miles of riding between Mountain City and Boone. I then pushed the home button and they followed the glorious BSA Rocket 3 as far as Doe Valley. Dick’s bike started loosing power which was determined to be electrical. So we left him on the side of the road (TN67) and took Cross mountain road to the back way into the camp ground. I recovered Dick ‘s pretty Suzuki 2 strike 500 twin with trusty Jeep and U-haul trailer. So all ended well. No rain so far and gas cans at the ready for tomorrow’s riding adventure.

Fire, dinner (some in camp, some for burgers in shady) and adult libations. Lies told.

In attendance: Windy, Richard, Marlin, DavidP, Lannis, Bill of the Noname variety, Tom Sanders from Florida!

Still awaiting arrival: Gordon, DPO and range targets.

Note: it’s amazing how far down the valley a britbike can be heard in the early evening.

Sincerely

SG
1 member likes this
#848173 May 5th a 09:31 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray in NC, USA
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#849103 May 17th a 04:23 AM
by DavidP
DavidP
Great weekend, great friends, great ride!
Although 175 miles of devious twisty roads just about wore me ragged. I need to get in better shape before next year, Wotan handled the ride much better than I did.
Even so, a triple could definitely benefit from a close-ratio box on these roads.
So, I finally rode the Snake, twice, and survived. Next year I wanna ride it toward Bristol too.
A family photo.
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#848968 May 14th a 09:34 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
OKAY........File Captions!!! Just noticed that so I'll try that next time. One more step up the learning ladder.

Photo 1 - Lannis's BEAUTIFUL Norton......counting Windy's there are some really nice Nortons up there.

Photo 2 - Bill's (aka no name man) TBolt. Now I really get fuzzy about this....I think he's had it since new???? Which is a story I keep telling about Greg's (aka GaCracker) Triumph and he keeps reminding me that is not true.......damnit.
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#848962 May 14th a 07:45 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
White Top Mountain......camp site photos to follow
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#849235 May 18th a 02:02 PM
by DPO
DPO
Good to be home, my fears about the States self induce gas shortage proved to be a non issue. I chose to be the 5th bike out on Saturday morning when the ride began, no particular reason. Didn’t take long to realize I was in trouble. I’ve only owned my little BSA for a couple of months now, and had gotten somewhat familiar with the bike here in Cleveland on the RBR parkway and Wolfpen Gap, but have never taken curves like that, that fast. Since my fall at work back in December of 2019, I have not been the same in some areas, I suppose proficiently riding on challenging roads is one of them. Not sure who was on one of the bikes in front of me, but he was a MAJOR factor in my nervousness. Adamantly splitting lanes, standing, and waving arms was a big distraction for me. I admit, I was splitting lanes on one of the past 3 state rides, and was thoroughly reprimanded for it, but not a word mentioned in this incident... Guess it depends on demeanor or something. By the time my higher power took my clutch cable, I was exhausted and relieved. I would have finished the route, but probably 2 hours later than everyone else...The ride in the truck was very entertaining and educational.... Greg was a freakin HOOT! Didn’t know that lakes had fingers and thumbs, and that cow that wandered into the road could have been really bad! I LOVED Wendy’s property, and hope the best for him. Was good to see Gordon, Marlin, David, Bill, Mr. Richard, Lannis, and meeting all others. I will be attending the BIBR as it’s only like 30 miles from my home, and will GLADLY bring both bikes if someone needs to borrow the little BSA..... New clutch cable arriving this weekend....
1 member likes this
#849253 May 18th a 07:45 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
Mark/DPO-Ride your own ride, not the other guys. It was years before I ever knew that Bob AKA Howard Inough, had a working headlight cause all I ever saw was his tail light. But we have fun just the same.
1 member likes this
#849260 May 18th a 08:55 PM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
on the lane crossing i sure dont condone it and when i see it the offender will get an ear full and i hope the riders that do see it speak up to the offender also. like has been said ride your own ride as you will not left to fend for your self.
1 member likes this
#849265 May 18th a 09:52 PM
by Ob1quixote
Ob1quixote
Like herding cats! Ought try it when riders number 300+!
LOL!

anyways, input for southern route lodgings...
In addition to Big Lynn Lodge in Little Switzerland, there is another place I have frequented to add to the mix.

Pineola Inn in Pineola NC. Tidy affordable motel, bike friendly, ON SITE camping with bath house!
Fairly sure they sell coonskin caps at the store! Cabins as well, situated with the camping. Some even have jacuzzi baths...
Site of an ADV ride that proceeds go to MD Anderson cancer research that I have attended many times.
{anyone wanna ride the Gravel Dragon? 22 miles without an intersection or driveway!} (can also access other more paved routes}

https://www.thepineola.com/
1 member likes this
#849364 May 19th a 05:59 PM
by DavidP
DavidP
Originally Posted by bill50cal
on the lane crossing i sure dont condone it and when i see it the offender will get an ear full and i hope the riders that do see it speak up to the offender also. like has been said ride your own ride as you will not left to fend for your self.
Guilty as charged. But I only use the whole road when I can see clearly through the whole corner. I rarely ride fast enough to be tempted to pass on the double yellow. I'm actually relieved sometimes to get 'stuck' behind a slow vehicle, unless it's a gravel truck. laughing

I only have one problem with most group rides. While I love riding with others, I like to stop and take pictures when I see a nice view from the road. Most times whoever planned the ride keeps going until we hit reserve.
Then I get home with no pictures to post for Shaun.
1 member likes this
#849408 May 20th a 02:02 AM
by Semper Gumby
Semper Gumby
The Jeep is in Johnson City.

Rode the Rocket 3 home with minimalist camping gear. Met a unicorn in Damascus waiting for the tow truck. She used to ride a Ninja, knew what a BSA was and took this picture.

I've got some video of us riding but don't know if any of it is good.

Had a great time riding with the gang of English missfits. All britbikes this year I think. Weather was Flawless and gas was to be found despite all the fearmongering. I still have 2/3rds of a bottle of Gumout Octane booster. This converts 87 oct into Britbike fuel.

Thank you Gordon for posting my pics. Much appreciated!
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#850115 May 27th a 04:25 PM
by Richrd
Richrd
I finally get a chance to put in my 2 cents. been busy around here, confusor and photo host problems, and I need to get going on a bike trip. so this will be quick

Not much to say that hassent been said already, The campground is looking betterr this year, Don't know if its the big new mower or better looking clientele
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
met this very "interesting" lady there. had a lot of fun talking to her but she scared the hell out of me when she told me she had been riding only 3 weeks, had a new honda 1300 cruiser, and her boyfriend brought her up to ride the mountain. We road up to backbone rock and did a bit of "rock climbing."

This year can be remembered for the lack of. bad weather, and the lack of good weather. actually the weather changed every 5 minutes. but there were plenty of pepsis cans to kill, as Marlin is demonstrating

the relaxed pace on this years ride was kind of nice. other than that the only thing different this year was the missing faces and one day gas shortage.
No one died and a good time was had by all.

found this in W.Va. not sure, but I think this is one of those time portals I've heard about.
other pics in no certain order or purpose

this is what Gordon calls campground tv.

latest in tribal tats

1 member likes this
#850116 May 27th a 04:27 PM
by Richrd
Richrd

Afterward, I went home with Lannis to spend a day investigating civil war history. Lannis was a hell of a guide, knowing what each man was thinking, who was riding which horse and what color it was. It was educational for someone whose only exposure to it was from movies.

1 member likes this
#850156 May 28th a 01:37 AM
by HughdeMann
HughdeMann
Gordon, that tattoo was the first comic relief I provided. I was trying to fit a chain, and everyone else was laughing! They finally told me about it, so I could laugh too.
Come to think of it, that is the second time the back of my head made me famous! Ron Howard might even recognize it.

Now if Rich can post the video of the bike being loaded into my truck....

You know, if you can't laugh at your friends, who can you laugh at?
1 member likes this
#850545 Jun 2nd a 11:58 PM
by JubeePrince
JubeePrince
And it's not a proper Britbike Rallye without Semper Gumby hunched over, fettling someone's bike.....good on ya Bill!

Thanks to all who posted photos/stories. Not sure if y'all missed me, but I sure missed you guys.

Cheers,

Steve
1 member likes this
#850547 Jun 3rd a 12:32 AM
by HughdeMann
HughdeMann
Oh, we most definitely missed you, never fear! There's always next year, and you are always welcome to just come for a visit.
1 member likes this
#848258 May 6th a 08:24 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Not counting myself out yet, but according to my brother if I want to spend time with my father it needs to be much sooner rather than later. We had planned a big celebration for his 100th in August but..... The other brother will be there the week after the TSMR so my plans are now officially in flux.

I’m sorry to hear about your father. At his age it’s no surprise but still tugs at ya. There will come a time when you won’t have him around.......cherish the time you have.

Before you know it....it’ll be next year.

Gordon in NC
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com