Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Boomer
Boomer
Orygone
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 84
NickL 69
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 23
Newest Members
bradders, tizianouk, Breeze, FORTYTWO, TomV
11,929 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Deadstiffcatt, TomV, Brian Brown, blueboat), 23 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
HayMike
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by 79BonnyG
79BonnyG
Good eve, just a quick intro to dip my toes in the water here. George Gemmell, currently reside in Long Island, NY and proud owner of a '79 Bonny Special. Saw it on the cover of Cycle magazine in '78 or 9 and love at first sight. Saved up and bought her brand new from Johns Cycle of Woodside, Queens and over the years have had some of my best life memories on her. It had roughly 60k pretty dependable miles ( speedo cable broke at 54k) before a Life changing divorce saw it get bounced around like a red headed step child! Long story short, after being in different storages & myself moving around, I finally have it back home and I'm in the middle of breathing some new life into it. Sent the Top half out to Franz & Grubb, No. Hollywood Ca. ( came Highly recommended) and after many many Covid delays, ALL the bits are back and have to say, Dan came as advertised. Fantastic job and was happy to hear he thought it was one of the best shape heads n barrels he's worked on with that age and mileage. Repainting Tank / Sidecovers of course, New orig. K81's going on, rebuilding Masters n Calipers and heavy polishing needed on the cases / chrome although for 42 yrs. and getting bounced around, pretty lucky.

Which leads me to my FIRST ( and certainly not Last) query! Since mine was kept All stock ( with the exception of a Lockhart Oil cooler added when new) I'd like to keep it that way but ... I'm having great difficulty locating the Original muffler/ silencer. Header pipes and middle 'joiner' are in great shape.. But a big section of the Silencer has heavy rust and a few good dings.

Anyone know of a good source or can point me in the right direction for trying to locate the Orig style? Most Pics I see of "Specials'' seem to have aftermarket / /universal type silencers, Which doesn't give me much hope. Barring that, I guess I may also have to go the aftermarket route. Any good recommendations appreciated for those as well.

Looking forward to participating here and have been enjoying some of the 'Banter' on other threads. Interesting group and vast knowledge!

Thank you in advance all... Geo G.
Liked Replies
by Jon W. Whitley
Jon W. Whitley
Originally Posted by 79BonnyG
Thanks lads.. I've tried a few suppliers on the East Coast without success
Yeah, not a big Ebay fan myself, its more like a crapshoot!

If you haven't yet done so, contact British Cycle Supply in Nova Scotia. http://www.britcycle.com/

If they can't help you, I will give you some more leads. Never discount eBay.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com