Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
ludwig
ludwig
belgium
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
BSA_WM20, chainreaction, courtney, D.Bachtel, fido, Gary E, Gordon Gray
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Ragmanx
Ragmanx
I'm putting my Lightning up for sale.

After 54 for years of loving and owning over 25 bikes, I have made the decision to admit that at 75 years of age, I am too old for 2 wheels.

I actually made this decision 5 years ago and retired to riding a sidecar rig 'till I saw this Lightning and was hooked all over again. But the weight of the bike and the kick start is just too much.

OK enough whining.

I put the bike on craigslist, Ebay, and on this site.

Feel free to contact me with any questions or interest.

I want to sincerely thank every one on this site that more than helped me sort everything out. A great group of guys!

SteveG
Liked Replies
by Shane in Oz
Shane in Oz
Originally Posted by courtney
I'm 33 and have to say that none of you are really selling this old age lark very well.
Getting older is a lot better than the alternative.
3 members like this
by Irish Swede
Irish Swede
Re: old age and old bikes:

If you can't ride 'em, you can still build 'em.
2 members like this
by Ragmanx
Ragmanx
Quinten,
Thank you! Worked perfectly!

Shane,
Thanx for your post. Unfortunately, the weight of the bike is not the only problem, but my balance is not so good.

I'm not giving up bikes completely. I'm picking up a Ural sidecar rig on Saturday.

SteveG
1 member likes this
by quinten
quinten
nice motorcycle , heres the Craigslist link and a few of your pics .
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/d/sutherlin-1968-bsa-a65-lightning/7309495721.html
[Linked Image from images.craigslist.org]
[Linked Image from images.craigslist.org]

... , Craigslist is hosting your pictures , so they can be hot-linked from there .
1 member likes this
by Shane in Oz
Shane in Oz
That's a downer, but I guess that day will come to all of us eventually.

Something worth considering is a smaller, lighter, machine which is easier to manoeuvre and start. A lot of the VMCC members seem to be taking that route, although it's probably more feasible in the UK with lots of smaller lanes and back roads.
Even a modern lightweight with electric start is still a motorcycle.

Come to think of it, I was talking to an older gent quite a while back who told me his "twist and go" super-scooter (Suzuki Burgman?) had extended his riding life by years.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com