Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

BLACK FRIDAY MEMBERSHIP OFFER 2021

50 % DISCOUNT ON ALL OPTIONS!!!

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership Life Membership

50 % DISCOUNT ON ALL OPTIONS!!!

New Sponsor post
The BLACK FRIDAY SALE is here!
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/23/21 5:29 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Kevin E
Kevin E
Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, England
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 76
Rohan 74
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Gus_Carrero, mogmike, Julian1966, BSACliff, Bezza Frank
11,920 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (TR7RVMan, Shane in Oz, NickL), 16 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
BeezaBryan, Bob E, chainreaction, D.Bachtel, Gordon Gray, gunner, Hugh Jörgen, ricochetrider, TR6Ray
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
New Beginnings, Old Beginnings, Spring Has Sprung. ETC.

2021 is finally showing some signs of life, 4 months in. The World is coming back around after an arduous year and folks are enthusiastically going full-on.
For my part, I've been shifting up the entire stable- 4 & 2 wheels alike. Moving bikes out and bringing bikes in, selling old vehicles on and acquiring a new ONE. Still have a bit of that to do yet before I'm done for a minute. But the idea has been to start almost from scratch and just freshen up my little herd. Here's a fast refresher, altho much of this has already been talked about...

I was given this 66 Tbird, after a protracted sort of a "thing" with someone I met on [email protected], so that went down to Georgia to Beno Rodi's shop...

[Linked Image from ricochetridersmotomojo.zenfolio.com]

Meanwhile, as already stated, here is my latest acquisition- a result of having sold off my "newest" bike.

SO now I have a pair of sweet 1966 bikes, AND I also have a perfect "trifecta" of excellent British Motorcycles!

This lovely little machine has been sitting nearly its entire life: the 1st owner must have clocked nearly all of the 5514 miles showing on the clock. Owner #2 had to sitting somewhere dry for 40 yers, and owner #3had it since June 2008, only riding it for "maybe 300 miles" (as he told me). With this in mind, Yesterday I took the bike up to NYC to Hugh Mackie's Sixth Street Specials to let those guys go through the bike and get it running & roadworthy. THIS machine's isolated & sedentary lifestyle is officially OVER.

Of course Hugh and his lovely lady & new s on were at Wade & Gerry's over the weekend and we hug out Sat night- AND the Sixth Street Racing Team was on hand at Gratz Sunday for AMA Vintage Flattrack Racing, so it was lovely to hang out with them and see some bikes n stuff. BUT the "other" member of the Sixth Street Gang, Fumi wasn't racing so I had a great time talking to him yesterday. I guess he enjoyed it too because he made a post on Instagram about my bike...

All those Sixth Street guys are lovely people and I'm glad to call them my friends.

SO meanwhile, didi I mention AMA Vintage Flat Track? The Sunday turnout was huge. Seems there's a lot of crossover in the vintage racing crowd, between people I know in the realm of British Motorcycles, some of The Race Of Gentlemen (TROG) crew, and some of my Instagram people I follow and who follow me. Feels like I've gained at modicum of recognition here & there along the way, as I talk to folks (asI LOVE to do) at these types of vintage moto-events- and they already seem to know me. Which makes this kind of thing even more fun than it would be, adding a real family vibe to what would otherwise be plain ol, run-of-the-mill fun.
Liked Replies
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Well today I have some thoughts... I don't know exactly what they are or how to express them even if I could nail it down- but here's the story behind my inner rollercoaster ride.

My lovely GF of 14 years now, has a lifelong friend. They've known each other since like 4th grade. Over the course of the run-up to the 2020 election, and all through this Covid thing, she and the friend (and the friend's husband, Jared) have sort of fallen out with each other. Ya see, their political views are the polar opposite of ours.

While that's OK, I'm sure that all 4 of us would agree it's perfectly OK to believe however one wants in things, But sometimes stuff... just happens. Karen always tended to try to lobby (it seems) Cynthia in what sure felt like never ending attempt to sway Cynthia's beliefs. As the election drew closer, these lobbying efforts intensified until finally Cynthia said something like, "why do you keep talking to me about this shyte. Our views are different, let's just celebrate out friendship instead of always having to talk politics" . Instead of anything else, Karen took it as an attack on her beliefs and lashed out, a little too fiercely for comfort.

So Cynthia stepped back a bit, and we were all sequestered away from another anyway, so. Meanwhile a few times lately, the ladies have reached out to one another, and they've gone walking or whatever. Seemed like things were somewhat on the mend, as it were. Over the course of the past 1 to 1 & 1/2 years, this has been the subject of much discussion between us, and between Cynthia and a 3rd friend, who also (along with her husband) took a step back from the friendship for a minute. Now, this other couple was way more "involved" with Karen & her husband Jared than we were. Even tho Cynthia has known them most of her life, I've only just met them a few years back and I already have a load of good, lifelong friends around here. Of course we'd all get together from time to time, but no time lately.

SO.
Cynthia & Karen were/are/have been slowly "mending fences"
Lynne & John were still taking a break (health reasons and family stuff could be added to their "list" as to why they've stepped back from everything, really)
I've stayed out of all this, as I've always sort of kept myself on the fringes anyway, but have been watching as well as making some effort to talk Cynthia through this little break-up & reconciliation.

Yesterday, Jared fell off a ladder while working on the house.

Whatever else happened on his way to earth, he clearly landed on his head. No idea how high up he was, but the house does have 2 stories. A handy-man type person was also working around the corner in their greenhouse. He heard the ladder fall and ran out to find Jared lwith his head bashed open, lying in a pool of blood in the driveway.

Emergency services were called and showed up quickly. They determined massive head trauma and called a helicopter to life-flight Jared to the hospital, where he underwent immediate surgery to cut part of his skull away to relieve the intense swelling of the brain.

Now. Over the course of my lifetime, a total of 6 friends or coworkers have fallen from varying height, had motorcycle crashes or accidents, & ended up with massive head traumas. Of those handful of people, only one survived- took him a couple years and a handful of surgeries but he's pretty close to what we would call normal today. So from just my own personal experience, there's 1 in 6. Anyone who knows anything about head injuries knows that in theory, it could go either way. Sometimes folks do come out of these things. But we have to admit the odds aren't good.

In this case, as it stands right now, roughy 24 hours after the accident, Jared is all but dead. His sister arrives today, the kids came in yesterday, the doc told Karen some grim-ass news this morning, and everybody on all sides is feeling pretty f*cked up about it all right about now.

If there's any solution, I sure as hell don't have it. But I admit to going deep into myself to think about things. In all of this, a single thought, anti can be summed up in one word, really- keeps coming back to me over & over again.

Love.

There's a whole other story about why I think this way. I won't go into it but I'll say this: over the 64-ish years I've been on the planet, I've seen much darkness. I've lived darkness, I've been The Darkness. In one of my darkest moments, a wise older guy- a friend's dad who was actually a Methodist minister, counseled me, when- at his invitation, I visited him one day. Whatever else he said, he also said this, "In our journeys through this world there are forces of darkness and forces of light. The goal, above all else, is to not succumb to the dark forces, but to move, always, towards the light".

Many years later, after a lot more water under the proverbial bridge, I came to understand what that wise old preacher Lindsay Ingram meant.

My interpretation of his words is this:

Light = love.
Move towards the light.
Be the love.
At the end of every day,
at the end of all your days,
let your legacy be one of love.
Love is all there is.
Nothing else matters.

I cannot say in all honesty, that I am perfect at this. But I believe it with all my heart.
And I am working on it.

5 members like this
by Ob1quixote R.I.P.
Ob1quixote R.I.P.
Some of my best friends have different political views than mine.
Yeah, sometimes we talk about it, but we dont let it get ugly.

Us at dinner for "Chemo Solstice", the day before a chemo treatment, when the effects are as low as they get.
This guy, and another of the same ilk, helped me move my shop on short notice. Could have had months of notice, but then the landlord wouldnt have rent to collect, even lied three times when the ends was becoming visible.

We ride together, kayak together.
Not just good people, great people.

Hope y'all can mend those fences!

[Linked Image from carolinadualsporters.files.wordpress.com]
3 members like this
by MikeG
MikeG
I made the choice to sell off my beloved BMW R100RS in order to purchase this Sprint.

Of all the bikes I've sold over the years the only 2 I wish I still had are the R75/6 and my 65 Panhead. Polar opposites but fun enough in their own right to want them back. Looking good Tom! Hope to meet up somewhere this summer.
2 members like this
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Just got a bunch of film developed so hers some BritBike shots- from the June Triumph National Rally at Oley, PA. Been shooting my antique 1930s folding medium format Voigtlander Bessa a fair amount lately, so here are some photos from using modern "slide" (aka color reversal) film- Fuji Provia 100f- This camera amazes me, always- it's in very good condition and just turns out lovely photos. It's kind of difficult because you don't focus the camera precisely- it's a "zone" focus, in meters. Because of that it can be real hit-and miss. Luckily enough, with STILL objects it w works (for me) more often than not (so far). Moving objects, not so much! Another thing of note- I shoot almost exclusively in f/8. Theoretically, this means that everything beyond X number of feet away will be in focus. Well that's a nice theory, but as you can see, it doesn't hold 100% true. That said the out of focus areas are, IMO, pretty nice. The f inlanders photo with the 3 blue/white Bonnevilles I think is the worst of the lot, focus-wise- but I'm posting it anyway.

Anyway, the Fuji Provia renders colors very nicely and these are stand-out examples of a VERY old camera at its very best. Better yet, these are shots of BrtBikes!
Bear in mind also that there's no "real" viewfinder... so framing is somewhat... imprecise. That said, These are OK IMO and I'm well pleased at the results here. The camera demands full attention- there's zero lattitude and every single move matters. In fact, the camera creates, in theory, a 6cm X 9cm negative. 8 shots to a roll in 120 film. Honesty, I rarely end up with 8 photos when I shoot this camera- but I got it this time!! Here's an accidental double exposure that I actually like- because it features BSA AND Triumph motorcycles, something of a rivalry, certainly among today's owners!

I welcome any and all commentary on these photos.

Cheers.
Tom

2 members like this
by Ob1quixote R.I.P.
Ob1quixote R.I.P.
Oh, I love the pix and write-ups of your adventures!
Even if you are of a different opinion politically than mine!

Hell, I'm living the motorcycle life vicariously through others, and you are high on that list.
1 member likes this
by bodine031
bodine031
Great Stuff!! Thanks for posting. Good to know the 6th St. gang still going. New Hampshire Speedway June 12&13 USCRA-FIM vintage race and some guy named Dave Roper is the Grand Marshall. Now sporting a total gray hair-doo & beard the flaming orange doo now forever gone!
1 member likes this
by Wilfred
Wilfred
Tom. I've recently shot a roll of P-30 and like it. Do you know what your new lab is is using for developer? I did my first roll in HC-110 but would appreciate any recommendations from people using it all the time.

Cheers, Wilf
1 member likes this
by Kent Shaun
Kent Shaun
Tom bro dude, it saddens my heart to hear anyone falling out over bloody Polly Ticks or Religion, especially mates who have shared happy times in the past, we're on this planet for just a Heart Beat in the great scheme of things, a chum sums it up like this, he looks at the years in Summers. So with his philosophy I'd guess I've got 20 summers left, far too short a time to fall out with mates over stupid crap.... wink

Just sayin'... 2c
1 member likes this
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
OK as promised, here ar some more pix from Oley. I have quite a lot more pix in color AND black & white I'll show off onceI get the film sent in and scans back- it'll be at least a week but meanwhile here are these P30 shots to hold you over.

I love the "Indian head" air filter on this bike! And the zig-zaggedy head covers are just killer!

This bike is slick- check the little details- the gear shift knob, and the little triangular emblem on the later strap on the tank. I took a could shot of this hoping to capture s one of the pin striping but alas, it is just barely visible beneath al the shoe & reflection.

tons of super nice bikes on hand here...
with more original, period goo-gaws and doo-dads per square meter than you're ever likely to see anywhere else!

Matt Walksler was there with a handful interesting Wheels Through Time bikes...

There was a knucklehead every few feet- and by that I refer to bikes on hand and NOT the crowd and NOT my friends!

but it wasn't all run-of-the-mill, plan jane Panheads & Knuckleheads and Indian Chiefs

That's about it for now kids. I gotta go back through all my pix again, I did cull some out but there must be more keepers in the lot. Meanwhile you canalways check the link to the Zenfolio folder because I'll be adding stuff asI pull pix out of the files.

Cheers!
1 member likes this
by Kent Shaun
Kent Shaun
Stunning Tom bro dude, just simply stunning my man.... beerchug
1 member likes this
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Back at the ranch, I haven't been shooting a lot of film lately, just had my head wrapped around all this motor vehicle stuff pretty much all year long. I took all my cameras out with me the other day, and shot a bunch of bikes at the races, and shot a bunch of pix in NYC yesterday. Here are some phone pix I took along the way but you may look for some actual film photos that should be forthcoming in due time.

Team Sixth Street Specials

lots of vintage Harleys out at the races. This one's aTROG bike

Shot some B&W film, shot some color film. I liked the way these colors went together and shot this several ways with some Kodak Ektar in 35mm.

going to the races with plain ol petrol for your race bike? NOPE

of course you'll take some "super dooper' fuel laugh

Yes. A Good Time was had and no doubt. Look for real film photos at some point along the way...

Hey so back to yesterday, NYC never fails to disappoint. One c Ould quite possibly circle the same block 10 times and see something different each go-round.

Here's some random stuff from my day in The City, although I dont want to give the whole game away just yet so here are a couple phone pix....

IS there a difference between "street art" & graffiti? Do I care?

Old cars are not always A Thing, but we seek em where we find em, eh kids? (hint- look past the car)

to close, here's a Sixth Street "classic"

I said it in Shaun's thread and I'll say it again now. Sunday presented a bit of a conflict, in that Hugh & his family & crew came down for the racing.This, I had not known was going to happen. I had instead, been planning on going over to Boiling Springs to visit our local Drag Strip. Sunday was the 1st of this summer's Vintage Eliminator Drags. I spent a lot of time over there last year and have been making some inroads into getting to know some of the stalwarts of the local hotrod & jalopy scene. Which, again, ties back in to The Race Of Gentlemen. This is just one more indication that The World, as big as it is, isn't all THAT big. There are plenty of circles overlapping circles, and more circles intersecting other circles. Friends of friends who have friends and are friends and who are becoming friends....

Circles upon circles of circles; it's never ending, in fact it's ever-expanding. And it's a ton of fun.

Stay tuned folks, This has been a busy travel year so far, and we've only just begun to have events like this. I'll have some film photos from my exploits since January to share SOON, maybe even tonight.

BUT we're just getting started with car & bike season.
There's plenty more of me where I come from, so hang tight and watch this space for more of your ol pal
Ricochetrider's Moto Mojo, edition 2021.

Cheers.
1 member likes this
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Originally Posted by JD
I like this thread Tom! What have you seen change in NYC during this last year?

The changes I've seen in NYC have been more noticeable over a stretch of time- The "clean-up" of NYC, gentrification of neighborhoods, old haunts falling away and new ones incoming... maybe about a 10-15 year long process, that seemed to have accelerated some more recently?

As for more immediate changes directly related to Covid, many if not most restaurants now have built little cubby-type temporary shelters outside- off the sidewalk in the curbside space where cars might have parked, with seating out there.
1 member likes this
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Shaun,

Friendship is one of life’s true treasures. Not having a lot of family, I value it over all else- way more than some do. That said, it’s OK to put a friend on “snooze” for a minute. It’s also OK for friends to yell at one another every so often and afterwards you get to laugh, cry, down some beers, hug each other, have another adventure and shake sh*t out.

A true friend never goes away and a true friend never breaks it off 100%. That old saying, “if you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it loves you for real and if it doesn’t come back then it never did”

Is true more true with friendships as with anything else. Time cements friendships and makes them inexonerable, bulletproof. But it can take time to reach that level where nothing can kill a friendship. Everybody’s different but especially in friendship. At that deep, core level is where you find out who people are. And who they’re not.

Cynthia and her friends took a break from one another. While that was happening, one of them died. Sure, I know them but not like Miss C does, not a lifetime thing between me and them. Both Cynthia & I have lost CLOSE loved ones. My fiancé was killed in a car crash and her husband died of liver disease. A person can lose anyone but a life partner dying in a couple’s prime of life is a more tragic loss than anything else other than a child. In the most dire of imaginable circumstances, Cynthia has of course been supporting her lifelong friend. Whatever was between them melted away like it had never been there at all.

In the face of such a tragedy, nothing and I mean nothing means as much, or helps as much as a lifelong friend- who knows when to be there and who knows when not to be too.
1 member likes this
by wadeschields
wadeschields
Great photos Tom !!.... Really sorry I missed Oley this year again... Work always getting in the way .....
1 member likes this
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
At the beginning of this year, I decided there are some bikes I want to own & ride, and daylight's a burnin. Nothing for it then but to sell off some stuff and bring some new Iron into the fold. First step in this direction was to take my pair of 6TAs down to Beno Rodi. Next on the list was the sale of my long-time fr ind, the Big Rig, the mighty mighty K1200RS. I intended to replace the Big Rig with a Sprint GT... but along the way, I fell into the lovely BSA A65T- a purchase I hadn't seen coming, although when the chance came along I went for it. This kind of forcedly hand somewhat- after a bit f thought o n the matter, I made the choice to sell off my beloved BMW R100RS in order to purchase this Sprint. And so this morning... There's a new "beast in the east"- and I'm at the point of having an all-British bike stable.Brought this 2011 Triumph Sprint GT home yesterday afternoon. Not only the most modern bike I have owned yet, it's also my 1st modern Triumph. Feast your eyes and "say hello to my little friend", the Silver Bullet

Got to roll over to the DOT in a few minutes to get it registered, tagged, & titled in my name, then as I have the day off and the Sun is shining, I'm going for a ride! Look for more pix of this later on...

Cheers.
1 member likes this
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Originally Posted by wadeschields
Looks good Tom...

Thanks bro.
After some minor mucking about, the Silver Bullet is Road Legal. thumbsup
Time to ride.
1 member likes this
by wadeschields
wadeschields
Looks good Tom...
1 member likes this
by Wilfred
Wilfred
Hey Tom. I finally got around to printing a couple of negs from my first toll of P-30. I can see a lot of uses for this film. The base is quite clear and the the contrast is enhanced so it will make a decent copy film when working with faded originals. I've been using a Kodak film originally made for printing movies from original negative movie films but it isn't made any more and I'm down to my last 100 foot roll. As I recall, P-30 is derived from a motion picture film not unlike the 5302 Kodak emulsion I have been using. Hence the clear base and slow speed. Great for putting some bite into old bike photos shot on dull days to get some life into them.

Nice bike. The only " modern " Triumph I have had the pleasure of riding is a '98 Thunderbird Sport. On one of my birthdays, my nephew came over from Vancouver on his and announced that the tank was full and handed me the keys. Nice birthday present! ( the ride, not the bike......)

Cheers, Wilf
1 member likes this
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
OK, too cold to ride, so what to do on a cold damp day other than post some pix?

right o then... how about a couple more from Sixth Street Specials to begin? This shop is amazing in so many ways, not the least of which is the historical aspects of NYC motorcycling and the motorcycling community there. Hugh has been in The City for a long while and has been deeply immersed in the community all along. The amount of interesting eye candy in the shop is vast. I feel like I see something new every time I go there, and Ive been going there for a number of years.

These B&W photos were shot on Kodak Tri-X 400 iso film, in my Viogltander R3m with the 40mm f1.4 Nokton Classic lens

and in living color...

1 member likes this
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
How about some color shots?

and, back at Oley for some good old American Iron... with one my absolute favorites from this run of film shots

I like this one pretty good too

nice paint, dude now where's my apple pie

here's one you don't see every day

and finally, this old truck was pretty darn sweet!

Here is a LINK TO MY ZENFOLIO GALLERY if anyone cares to give it look.

I'll post more later, probably.
Cheers!
Tom
1 member likes this
by JD
JD
Very cool, Tom! I'm living vicariously through you. "I also have a long-term project- documenting old Pennsylvania Coal Country towns...", I like it! That should give you some fantastic black and white photos. I really look forward to seeing the results as they come along.
1 member likes this
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
OK a couple more pix from TROG 2021

Cheers!
beerchug
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com