Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Danam
Danam
San Francisco
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
BeezaBryan, Gordon Gray, Morgan aka admin, Nomad6T, Shane in Oz, Stuart Kirk, tridentt150v
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Lannis
Lannis
I had a meeting to go to last night, it was a pretty evening, so I checked the tires on the Norton, tossed on jacket, helmet, and gloves, and rode in.

We were finished just before sundown, and the attendees came out to the parking lot. As I was gearing up, a couple of guys came over to look at the Norton. One was driving a late model hybrid car (some nameless Japanese ovoid); the other guy commented that he had a 2019 Honda bike, and he'd never seen a bike like mine before.

I got a few questions.

"What are you doing there?" "I'm kicking it through with the clutch in to make sure that the clutch plates are free".

"What's that lever you turned?" "That's the fuel valve - it's gravity feed into the the two carburetors".

"Why are you pushing those buttons?" "I'm priming the carburetors with the 'tickler' buttons, it lets some raw gas into the intake for a rich mixture."

"What's that?" "It's the choke lever for starting and cold running".

"Why are you kicking it slow?" "That's just a priming kick to get the rich mixture into the cylinders, no need in bashing it round to get that done, just turn the engine".

No more questions, because I turned the key on (they recognized that), kicked it, and off it went.

I wish I'd been on the M21, I could have explained the magneto advance/retard lever too.

It's amazing to think that the newer bikes with FI and EI and ECUs and stuff do all that work for you. If you didn't grow up with it, it all seems rather primitive, I suppose! I'm glad that I at least realize what all the new technology does for me so that I can appreciate it, although I don't mind ticklers and chokes one little bit. To me, it's strange to NOT have them ... !

Lannis
Liked Replies
by Hillbilly bike
Hillbilly bike
My wife an I are 73....we have never owned a vehicle with an automatic transmission...Manual transmissions are now a form of theft control...
2 members like this
by Tridentman
Tridentman
Reminds me of the old proverb "A watched bike never starts".
2 members like this
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by KarlB
Hey Lannis, if you really want to bewilder folk, try explaining the MZ starting ritual! laughing

One of the great experiences of a lifetime, that trip that Alec and I made to the IOM on your bikes ...

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Wonderful machines, those MZs. But I don't remember anything particular about the starting ritual?

Fueling ritual, now, that would baffle anyone today. Take off the gas cap, fill it with gas, turn the gas cap upside down, fill it with oil from a container you carried with you, and dump the oil in the tank as you replaced the cap. No oil changes, no oil pump, no oil lines, simple.

I'm wanting one of these jewels myself now. Rare here for the same reason that Guzzi Nuovo Falcones are rare - the only ones here are ones that people brought over privately, or bought in a crate as a "parts kit"! Never imported by dealers.

As far as easy starting, reliability, simplicity of repair (especially taking apart the carb in the rain to get a dandelion seed out of the mainjet - Bing carbs, were they?), you can't beat them.

Lannis
1 member likes this
by linker48x
linker48x
My dad was a racer and loved singles so I was around 500cc (30.50) singles from the time I could walk—Model 18CS AJS, Ariel Red Hunter, Gold Star Catalina, a couple Velocettes for the street, etc. The rules in our house were, “if you can pick it up if it’s lying on the ground, and if you can start it, then you can ride it.” So I learned really early, like 11 or 12 years old and well under 100 lbs soaking wet, how to pick them up, and how to start them all— how much tickler, valve lifter or not, where to put the piston, where to hold the throttle, how to use my body weight and momentum to roll over the kickstarter with minimal actual weight, each bike was different on every detail, and knowing how got me off a Honda 50 trail bike and onto British iron that much sooner. Fun to think about after all these years, and that stuff still helps make starting my DBD 34 Gold Star a “mostly” reliable process. And it makes starting a twin easy peasey by comparison.

Dad and I also raced cars starting in the early and mid 60’s, and it takes the same sort of touch to get a hopped up car with highly modified SU carburetors or 6 Stromberg 97s started—except it often took two people, LOL. Yup, a whole different deal from hitting the button on an electric start fuel injected engine, and a lot more fun.
1 member likes this
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Originally Posted by linker48x
The rules in our house were, “if you can pick it up if it’s lying on the ground, and if you can start it, then you can ride it.”

These later days of my life I can manage two out of three with that Enfield.
Starting & riding no problem, in the unlikely event of it lying down I would stand no chance.
The Flash & a Box, now that is a different tale, I can start it, get on it, ride it, stop it and get off it with no danger of embarassment laughing
1 member likes this
by Ob1quixote
Ob1quixote
Yeah, even carburetors are becoming mysterious Olde Teche.

Some of the reactions to my GW converted from 4 carbs to 1 had me as some kinda Guru!
It aint easy, but it aint rocket surgery.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com