Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
dpkreuze
dpkreuze
Michigan
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 78
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 22
Newest Members
TomV, old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee
11,925 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Beach, Gordon Gray, ricochetrider
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Got a deal working on a real nice Thunderbolt. It's titled (far as I know) as a 1966.
The numbers are A65T9069. What year is it, please?

I promise much better photos SOON but until then...

[Linked Image from ricochetridersmotomojo.zenfolio.com]
Liked Replies
by Shane in Oz
Shane in Oz
Even easier, just go for the "Serial Numbers" link on the top of the page, select BSA and then 1966. That will take you to the 1966 section of Morgan's rather nicely laid out list.

BSA wasn't necessarily consistent with engine and frame numbering, but A65T was the Thunderbolt in 1966, the year letter was added in 1967, then another letter for month in 1969.

BTW, the serial number list says the frame number was A50C in 1966, but that was just for the start of the model year. BSA switched to matching engine and frame numbers during the model year. There's a note about that above the 1966 section, but it looks a little like it is the end of the 1965 section.

and, yes, it does look nice.
3 members like this
by Morgan aka admin
Morgan aka admin
Nice.. check out
https://www.britbike.com/technical/bsa_serial_numbers.html#1966
2 members like this
by Hugh Jörgen
Hugh Jörgen
bsa.html#1966

Looks like A65T is a 1966 designator.
2 members like this
by Beach
Beach
I use Brituro mufflers on my BSAs. Think got them from British Cycle Supply. That's the kind of bike im looking for!
2 members like this
by Jon W. Whitley
Jon W. Whitley
Excellent score, Tom...congrats!!
2 members like this
by Beach
Beach
Sweet bike.
2 members like this
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Thanks guys. I'm not sure I've ever been so stoked over any bike ever.

Originally Posted by Irish Swede
It probably "survived" because it's a single-carb bike.

First owner may have been someone who just enjoyed riding, not a 'hot rod" type.

Honestly, I think it spent most of its life sitting- not being ridden. It has I think 5500 miles on it.
Most of that was probably owner number 1.
Owner 2 may have ridden it some, but had it in a basement for something like 40 years.
Owner number 3 (current seller) had it since June 2008- he told me he MIGHT have put 300 miles on it.

Sleepy time is OVER, time to wake this bad boy up. It'll be a sweet companion to my 1966 Triumph Thunderbird which is currently in Beno Rodi's shop. Pennsyltuckey back roads will be absolutely perfect for Old Blue.

SO right away I have a couple things- one is there's a hole that I THINK rusted into the bottom of the R side muffler. I hesitate to change a single muffler out- MAYBE I can find a pair of NOS or some top-grade new mufflers that are an exact match for the year & model? Can I use JB Weld or something similar to patch the hole?
1 member likes this
by Irish Swede
Irish Swede
It probably "survived" because it's a single-carb bike.

First owner may have been someone who just enjoyed riding, not a 'hot rod" type.
1 member likes this
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Found a pair of NOS UK made SS silencers on the 'bay.
Still have the labels on em.
Got em saved. Not rushing in yet.
1 member likes this
by wadeschields
wadeschields
Cant wait to see it in person Tom
1 member likes this
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Thanks guys. Although I didnt look at the frame to see what was stamped there, I have every reason to believe the bike is completely unmolested. I'll bring the bike home tomorrow and will get it out in full daylight for a serious photo session. Expect excellent pix later tomorrow.

The bike absolutely presents as a total and true "survivor". IMO this is a word that is misused and overused. A word I personally wouldNOT use unless I felt it was 100% appropriate. Near as I can tell, everything is there. There are no dents, no dings, barely any scratches on the bike!

OK this just in- I am messaging back n forth in [email protected] messenger with Andy Lorenz. The bike was apparently dispatched 16 March 1966 to New Jersey.

SO close to the day!

I have been looking at this for a couple weeks. The guy had really [email protected] photos of it. He uploaded MUCH better pix tho and I could really see what the bike looked like. I called immediately.
1 member likes this
by Andy Lorenz
Andy Lorenz
matching numbers, dispatched from the BSA factory on 16th March 1966 to BSA New Jersey.
1 member likes this
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
No better way to see the USA than on a BSA.

There’s a reason they were the worlds most popular motorcycle at one time.

BUT........they’re not for everybody.

Looks good Tom...........good luck with your quest.

Gordon, proud to be one of the BSA unit single guys.

BSAing ya
1 member likes this
by Mike Baker
Mike Baker
Nice one, Tom! Ask Beno about mufflers.....
1 member likes this
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
for anybody who does not frequent the Rod & Tappet, here are better photos of the new bike.

and here is the gallery link to all my photos of it so far

ZENFOLIO: 1966 BSA A65T Photos
1 member likes this
by MarcB
MarcB
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
Is there any reason to assume the rectifier and zener diode were replaced with a podtronics unit at the time of the installation of the EI?
No, no reason both would be assumed. Removing the points is entirely separate from the charging system.
1 member likes this
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Uhhhhh...........a little smitten are ya????? Beautiful bike.

Welcome to the fold.

Gordon
1 member likes this
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
Uhhhhh...........a little smitten are ya????? Beautiful bike.

Welcome to the fold.

Gordon

In truth I am bonkers- head over heels about this bike. Never been so excited about a bike!
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com