Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleIndustrial tec supplyHepolite PistonsThe Bonneville Shop

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Danam
Danam
San Francisco
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Allan G 79
quinten 60
DavidP 54
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 23
Newest Members
Paul_V, hammerhead, Steve W 1959, Bobpin, VWK740
11,759 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
9 members (TR6Ray, J. Charles Smith, Lannis, BAinLA, D.Bachtel, Magnetoman, VincentEsposito, Bry, Doug P), 31 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, Ted Sn, The Bonneville Shop
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#845453 04/08/2021 1:49 PM
by wayno
wayno
Howdy , ordered new clutch kit for my 67 A65. I'm gonna use ATF so wondering if best to pre soak them or install dry? had lotsa Hondas and always pre soaked them but not sure on the BSA. Again, thanks for the input, Wayno
Liked Replies
#845519 Apr 9th a 04:30 AM
by wayno
wayno
Thanks to all. I had read an old topic on this subject which steered me towards the ATF/F and even 20wt fork oil ideas but 20w50 is already on my shelf. I continue to learn more and more through this site and my contacts with Dave at the Bonneville shop. Thanks Again, Wayno
1 member likes this
#845536 Apr 9th a 12:11 PM
by Ola
Ola
Oil questions are engaging. My favourite primary oil is mineral Tractor Universal 10w/30 (for wet brakes).

Regards
1 member likes this
#845497 Apr 8th a 11:02 PM
by The Bonneville Shop
The Bonneville Shop
In my experience, installing the friction plates dry works best. The steel plates will adhere to the friction plates well when their surface is roughed up a little bit also, either by bead blasting, or scuffing on a rough surface to cut some light scratches in the steel driven plates.This will enhance adhesion, which means you won't have to pre-load the clutch springs quite as much, in turn leading to a lighter pull at the clutch lever. I also recommend using plain 20w50 oil in the primary chaincase. Be sure not to saturate the friction plates with too much oil, as they will be prone to sticking together after periods of inactivity. The oil is in the primary chaincase to lubricate the chain, and to some degree, helps in cooling the stator. I worked at a Harley dealership for a couple of years, and we always soaked the clutch plates in oil for an hour before installing, but I don't recommend it with the vintage Brit bike clutches.
-Dave
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com