Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
MikeJ
MikeJ
San Mateo, CA USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
11 members (konon, Tridentman, John Harvey, Rocketman71, triton thrasher, Rohan, Motorcycles and Art, chaterlea25, Edalfa, Hugh Jörgen, Steve Highfield), 41 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Kevin E
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by joe czech
joe czech
do you have a high beam or dip beam warning lamp on the headlight shell? i'm questioning my 66 spitfire - has none. one owner of a lighting states he bought his 66 from the original owner w/ 500 miles - original and hasn't changed a thing, and he also does not have any such lamp. my 66 instruction manual shows a lamp and also the wiring diagram, however the parts manual shows none. so, 66 owners only - do you have a high or dip warning lamp on your headlight shell? thanks....
Liked Replies
by Allan G
Allan G
Originally Posted by Stuart
Red idiot lamp wasn't used for oil pressure warning 'til '69-on; before that, the bulbholder just had a White wire (so energised when the ignition switch is turned on) and a Red wire, so the idiot lamp was just an 'ignition on' warning.

When two idiot lamps were fitted, it depended which colours a given production-line worker pushed the bulbs into - a bike could have red 'ignition on' and green 'high beam' ... or the other way 'round ...

Hth.

Regards,

I have wired my 68 like this, it should have main beam warning only but the shell had two holes. Also I used to leave the ignition on by mistake and come back to a flat battery.

The only issue I have now is getting "helpfull-types" come up to me whilst Im sat on the bike and ready to go and squark "arr' your oil pressure light is on mate" then spend 10 minutes trying to explain to people that I've wired it as an ignition warning as it doesn't have a oil pressure switch.... But at least I don't have a flat battery now.
1 member likes this
by Stuart
Stuart
Hi,
Originally Posted by joe czech
do you have a high beam or dip beam warning lamp on the headlight shell? i'm questioning my 66 spitfire - has none.
my 66 instruction manual shows a lamp and also the wiring diagram, however the parts manual shows none.
If it's the same as '66 Triumphs, early don't have any idiot lamps, middle have one, late have two ...

Originally Posted by Kevin E
fitted my bike with a later headlamp shell with the later toggle switch, ammeter and warning lamps for oil pressure and main beam.
would like an oil warning lamp
Red idiot lamp wasn't used for oil pressure warning 'til '69-on; before that, the bulbholder just had a White wire (so energised when the ignition switch is turned on) and a Red wire, so the idiot lamp was just an 'ignition on' warning.

When two idiot lamps were fitted, it depended which colours a given production-line worker pushed the bulbs into - a bike could have red 'ignition on' and green 'high beam' ... or the other way 'round ...

Hth.

Regards,
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com