Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
TJD
TJD
Devonport Tasmania
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, gavin eisler, JER.Hill
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#845058 04/04/2021 12:17 AM
by drunkenmonkz
drunkenmonkz
64 a65 motor. Bob newby belt drive. There two widths of spacers used behind the clutch drive sprocket (pulley now) on the crankshaft over the years. Not sure which one I should use for the belt drive setup. Supplied Installation instructions sucks..
Thanks
Liked Replies
by Hillbilly bike
Hillbilly bike
In before the long winded discussions...., the pulleys need to be lined up exactly especially if they have side rails...Use a straight edge and select the appropriate spacer. It's that easy
1 member likes this
by Allan G
Allan G
Originally Posted by pushrod tom
It does not need to line up exactly like the chain does. So long as the belt rides near the middle of clutch wheel it is ok.

I think your using the 40mm belt Tom?,

The baskets are all the same but the 30mm belt (for road bikes) sits closer to the back of the basket, you probably have about 1-2mm of basket that you can see at the back of the belt, and a whole lot more at the front side of that.

Originally Posted by wbabojo
The spacer comes in 3 sizes I thought, but I may be getting confused with Layshaft spacers. Definitely more than one size though.

I beleive I am on about item 5 on the diagram, I don't beleive these ever came in more than one size.
Attached Images
1 member likes this
by pushrod tom
pushrod tom
I use the 30 on NA bike and 40 on turbo.
1 member likes this
by NickL
NickL
The early motors used 2 different (select on assembly) spacers.
Later models used shims and one thickness spacer.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com