Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Boomer
Boomer
Orygone
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 84
NickL 69
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 23
Newest Members
bradders, tizianouk, Breeze, FORTYTWO, TomV
11,929 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (Magnetoman, Ginge, Shane in Oz), 20 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
BSA_WM20, gavin eisler, Shane in Oz, triton thrasher
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#844199 03/26/2021 10:30 PM
by Rohan
Rohan
This has probably been covered before - but I no longer seem to be able to find decent results from the search function.

What are folks doing for electrical connectors on british bikes of the 30s and 40s and 1950s ?
I'm not sure what they used back then - if anything - but this just doesn't seem quite right.
(They work quite well, but don't look right ?)

I suspect that wiring looms then didn't have any connectors, in the main.
But that doesn't help if you remove say the taillight or headlight,
and its dangling only by its wires.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Liked Replies
#844559 Mar 30th a 08:39 AM
by gavin eisler
gavin eisler
In the UK we call your spade a fork.,
1 member likes this
#844667 Mar 31st a 02:26 AM
by Tridentman
Tridentman
My first father in law was a Yorkshireman.
He always called a spade a spade---except when he was calling it a bl**dy shovel!
1 member likes this
#844846 Apr 1st a 07:36 PM
by Andy Higham
Andy Higham
I have always called them Lucar or spade terminals. The fork shaped ones I call fork terminals and the ring shaped ones I call ring terminals. Sometimes when things aren't going well I call them other names. I am an electrician by the way.
I really dislike the turned brass type bullets as there is no support on the insulation. Pulling them out of the sleeves can damage the cable. The Japanese style are much better as they are crimped onto both the conductor and the insulation, they also have a weatherproof boot on both parts to keep moisture out
1 member likes this
#844867 Apr 1st a 10:41 PM
by Hillbilly bike
Hillbilly bike
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
i think perhaps the Ground/ Earth is a transatlantic language issue. I worked with HV electricity as an SAP ( Senior Authorised Person) and Control person my whole employed life. in the UK we never used the term ground , always earth, HV circuits when isolated and made safe to work on are Earthed as close as practically possible to the point of work, either through Earth switches or temporary CMEs ( Circuit main Earths) or Primary Earths depending on which company you work for
, thats the official Safety rule terminology in the UK.Ground over here has no working electrical meaning.
As for spades / forks , heres a UK link to Fork terminals from Vehicle Wiring products who are good suppliers for this sort of thing in the UK
https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.c...terminals/p-473-blue-fork-terminal-6-4mm

I used to call " Blade " terminals Lucar connections , that was maybe just me though.
Yes just language. The US National Electrical Code uses the word ground , grounding, grounded exclusively.. When workin on LV or HV denergized circuits where there a possibility of them becoming live, we used chains wrapped around the terminals and then to earth/ground. Chains wont snap to attention like wires or cable when current suddenly faults to ground...The other reason was we could always find chains on a construction site. It was not unusual for us to improvise because the proper tools were not always available...
1 member likes this
#845068 Apr 4th a 04:40 AM
by DavidP
DavidP
Originally Posted by triton thrasher
Originally Posted by Andy Higham
Pedantic but correct. Electrons flow from -ve to +ve

And conventional current flows from + to -.
A convention started by a mistaken assumption by Ben Franklin, a lunatic who tried to electrocute himself with a kite. It's no wonder we sent him to France.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com