Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
wadeschields
wadeschields
NYC and York PA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 68
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
NickL 29
quinten 28
Newest Members
FERRARTIS GROUP LD, Okp, Stevie B, EmmBeeDee, dresda
12,125 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (A65Matt, Hugh Jörgen), 29 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,065
Posts769,648
Members12,125
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Kev Ev, pushrod tom
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#844026 03/25/2021 9:38 AM
by Kev Ev
Kev Ev
Hi all, hope everyone is doing well.

I remember recently finding out about the misprint in the 1966 BSA A65 workshop manual regarding the torque setting for the crankshaft pinion nut /oil pump drive gear.

The manual says it should be 60Ib/ft when in reality this amount of torque would probably damage something and at the least over stress things. It should actually be 30Ib/ft.

You have to be careful what you read and if in doubt check and double check with experienced people like those on this forum.

I was browsing the web today looking for some bits and pieces of info on my bike and I came across an article on A65 engine servicing by Classic Mechanics Magazine. I had to look twice when I saw their torque setting for the con rod big end nuts. My torque wrench only goes up to 100Ib/ft!

When I did look twice it made me laugh when I realised that the author had used a '1' as opposed to a 'I' in the text. 221b/ft was actually 22Ib/ft.

A small detail and so obviously wrong to the experienced eye but one that could trip you up if you were inexperienced and didn't read things properly.

The motto is in the title.

All the best,

Kev E
Attached Images
Liked Replies
#844120 Mar 26th a 07:08 AM
by Lannis
Lannis
I used to think that it was worse in the days when we used to joke about old Honda bike manuals, with their "Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon" and "tooteling melodiously on the horn trumpet" and stuff like that, but the more I think about it, the less I think that any of that was real. I've never actually SEEN any of that in an actual old manual, just in viral Faceache pages. The stuff I see sounds more like someone trying to SOUND like Japanglish grammar ...

The biggest kick I've gotten out of a manual is a Lucas manual for a BSA Bantam, which recommends that you dip your highbeam well in advance to avoid "dazzling" oncoming traffic. That's the strangest use of the word "dazzling" I've ever heard, considering that you needed to shine another light on a 6V Bantam headlight to see if the bulb was lit or not .... !

Lannis
1 member likes this
#844139 Mar 26th a 12:45 PM
by Irish Swede
Irish Swede
David, I have had numerous happenings where "auto-correct" red-lined some word i typed, and was proved wrong when I checked the spelling in two dictionaries I have near my computer.
1 member likes this
#844112 Mar 26th a 03:31 AM
by DavidP
DavidP
It's only going to get worse now that we fired all the proof readers and rely on auto-correct.
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com