Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Boomer
Boomer
Orygone
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 84
NickL 69
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 23
Newest Members
bradders, tizianouk, Breeze, FORTYTWO, TomV
11,929 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ginge, Shane in Oz), 20 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Kevin E
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#843111 03/16/2021 1:11 PM
by Kevin E
Kevin E
Hi all,

Back in the 1980's I made up some stainless steel front mudguard centre support brackets and a front brake torque arm for my 1966 A65 Lightning, photo attached so that you can see what I am talking about.

My bike has the 6 tab front mudguard and all of these 'DIY' parts were made using the originals as patterns, so I'm happy they are dimensionally correct and they all fitted perfectly when the bike was rebuilt way back then.

During my recent strip down of the bike, for it's restoration Mk2, I was a little over enthusiastic to get it into bits and forgot to take note of how these particular parts were orientated on the front forks.

As far as I can see and from what I have been able to find out the stepped mudguard support brackets fit against the lugs on the fork slider tubes and the torque stay arm fits inside them. That's inside as in towards the centre of the forks and wheel.

I can also see that the stepped mudguard brackets can be fitted in three different ways and I have attached a photo of a CAD drawing showing these options A, B & C. The drawing is not exactly to scale and is only intended to show the three different ways that the mudguard centre brackets can be positioned. I think all of these positions would work, dimensionally, but which one is actually correct and how the factory fitted them?

Does anyone know? I can't find any photos of the bikes that show these brackets in enough detail for me to tell?

Thanks,

Kev E
Attached Images
Liked Replies
#843140 Mar 16th a 05:03 PM
by Beach
Beach
[Linked Image]Can't tell which way step goes, but can see it goes forward and maybe it looks like it faces in.
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#843138 Mar 16th a 04:29 PM
by Allan G
Allan G
Mine are as your first two photos Kev, I couldn't even get mine to fit in your "fig C".

The 1970 image was the clearest factory image I could find to show their orientation, I didn't mean for it to show the position on the legs as the legs are different post 68.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com