Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Jon W. Whitley
Jon W. Whitley
Vermont
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, drunkenmonkz, kommando, pushrod tom
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#843077 03/16/2021 3:19 AM
by drunkenmonkz
drunkenmonkz
A65 crankshaft bush is line reamed and almost ready for assembly. I say almost because it is just, I mean just, a hair snug when everything's bolted together. As in - when it's assembled to check end float, in my very cold unheated garage, the crank is locked down and won't rotate. -when I take the whole assembly inside the house, after it's sat for a couple hours warming up the crank will rotate. Although still not spin ez.
So my question is.
Instead of having the whole damn thing setup for inline reaming again, with so little that needs to come off, would it be advisable to use a quality cylinder hone (not ball hone) to take off that tiny bit from the bush?
Other ideas??
Thanks!
Liked Replies
#843126 Mar 16th a 02:45 PM
by Thunderlizard
Thunderlizard
I would NOT run a brake hone through the bushing, you are introducing grit that will become imbedded in the surface and there is no way to keep from taking off more from one side than the other.

can you describe how you reamed the bush?
2 members like this
#843096 Mar 16th a 09:35 AM
by gavin eisler
gavin eisler
Does it spin OK if assembled without end float shims?
May be you have zero endfloat? You may need a thou or two less shim.
If thats OK it is customary to give a fresh assembled crank/ cases an axial clonk with a soft faced mallet, this can help seat bearings and quite often frees off the assembly. If that doesnt work, its strip check / measure to find the bind.
1 member likes this
#843154 Mar 16th a 07:08 PM
by Adam M.
Adam M.
By the way have the same problem with a bush being too tight in one place, so I assumed it's not in line with a ball bearing. Thought about scrubbing a tight spot CBS way but seriously afraid the clearance will be too big for a proper oil pressure. Took the block to the machinist again to install original type of a bush ( steel with bronze insert pegged together ). However until now it is not done yet. I was looking for possible tools to do a line boring and found a film about a Harley pinion cutter:
https://www.facebook.com/charley.dawidson.9/videos/1118128241966317
This tool is shown in 1.30 min and looks like could help with fine honing of the bush.
1 member likes this
#843224 Mar 17th a 10:08 AM
by gunner
gunner
I am curious though what/where people are getting that information. I have the 63-65 parts book that references the ball bearing (67-1240) and also shows a retaining cup (68-0186) as well as the three different options for shims.

I think you are right, I had a look through the parts books for all the years and the shim cup has always been there regardless of whether a ball or roller drive side bearing is fitted.

However I did note that on the timing side the bronze thrust washer is only fitted on engines using the roller drive side bearing.

I think the idea was that when the drive side ball bearing is used the crank is locked into place by the alternator. When the roller bearing is used the crank isn't locked and the needs the bronze thrust washer as well as the shim cup to adjust any end float.

So as you have the ball type drive side bearing then there should be a shim cup with shims to adjust end float, there should be no bronze thrust washer on the timing side.

Suggest you try removing shims and see if that helps, also are you fitting the cam, breather and pinions at the same time? Could be the cam or something else binding.
1 member likes this
#843301 Mar 17th a 09:03 PM
by gunner
gunner
Make sure you give the bush a good clean with hot soapy water as the brake hone will likely have left some abrasive deposits which could accelerate any wear on the parts.

The same principle applies after a rebore, using solvents doesn't remove abrasive deposits, it has to be hot soapy water.
1 member likes this
#843347 Mar 18th a 03:59 AM
by NickL
NickL
Originally Posted by Adam M.
By the way have the same problem with a bush being too tight in one place, so I assumed it's not in line with a ball bearing. Thought about scrubbing a tight spot CBS way but seriously afraid the clearance will be too big for a proper oil pressure. Took the block to the machinist again to install original type of a bush ( steel with bronze insert pegged together ). However until now it is not done yet. I was looking for possible tools to do a line boring and found a film about a Harley pinion cutter:
https://www.facebook.com/charley.dawidson.9/videos/1118128241966317
This tool is shown in 1.30 min and looks like could help with fine honing of the bush.

A piloted adjustable reamer.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com