Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
JubeePrince
JubeePrince
Maryland, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
10 members (koncretekid, Robert Dentico, Gary Caines, L.A.B., gavin eisler, wilksville, John Harvey, Hugh Jörgen, pidjones, KevRasen), 34 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Kevin E
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Kevin E
Kevin E
Hi all,

Can anyone advise on the technique of fitting the rear brake lever and return spring on the 1966 BSA A65 Lightning with the steel brake plate.

I'm having a bit of a struggle getting the lever on to the cam square with what I think is the right amount of tension on the return spring and wondering if I'm doing things right.

I've fitted it on ok in the past but my memory of how I achieved this is long gone.

It seems such a simple thing to be having bother with and if anyone has an easy method for the job, I would appreciate the knowledge.

I've attached a photo of my rear brake, so you can see the detail of what type it is. The rear spring is not fitted in the photo and also the brake plate is not in the correct position as the torque arm is not fitted either. It would need to rotate anti-clockwise about 25 degrees to be in its correct final position.

Thanks,

KevE
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by Beach
Beach
[Linked Image]Kevin,

Not sure if this will help or not. Here is pic of mine not mounted yet, but don't recall any problem getting it right. Thinking I put brake arm on shaft above where it seats and move lever to correct spot with spring on and press onto splines. Bit fiddly but not too bad.
Attached Images
1 member likes this
by Gary E
Gary E
I used a flat screwdriver to snap mine on. No paint was buggered.
1 member likes this
by Allan G
Allan G
If you remove the brake plate from the drum, you can mount the spring loose, fit the actuating arm and then pulling the arm backwards (which will open the shoes up) then you can mount the spring stress free. Then re-assemble it into the drum.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com