Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
North Carolina
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 84
NickL 71
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 23
Newest Members
bradders, tizianouk, Breeze, FORTYTWO, TomV
11,929 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (blueboat, Magnetoman, M.Gunderson, Bustednukel, htown70, DJinCA), 15 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Beach, Dave Comeau
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#842823 03/14/2021 4:05 PM
by Paul Sammut
Paul Sammut
Good morning all,

I have a question regarding the description of spokes. I am trying to rebuild the wheels of a '74 Commando front disc-braked wheel with aluminum 19" rim. I received 2 sets of SS spokes in very convenient, labelled bags from Buchanan's. Unfortunately, no matter what I try, I cannot build the wheel. (I do have experience with successful building in the past) as the designated "Disc-side outside" spokes point way outside and will in no way allow the 1/2" offset needed. Now, the spokes have been separated from their nice little baggies but I think I might have them mixed up.
As my amateurish diagram shows, there are certain designations on the bags and I'd like to be sure I understand them correctly (Yes, of course this is a question I should direct to Buchanan's, but this is a weekend and had really hoped to be able to get it done today)

In the example below:

8 1/16" S80 - I know the 8 1/16" is the shaft length, but does the "S" mean a short bend? Is the "80" the measurement in degrees? If so, is that 80 degrees mean an acute angle with the shaft, or is the angle measured from the extension of the shaft and is 100 degrees related to the shaft?

7 13/16" L95 - again, does the "L" mean "long" and refers to the length of the bent bit? Does 95 mean an obtuse angle of 95 degrees with the shaft?

Hope someone can set me straight. Kind regards.

[img]https://imgur.com/a/FFZkP5U[/img]
Liked Replies
#843401 Mar 18th a 02:58 PM
by Beach
Beach
Originally Posted by John Healy
Although Commandos did uprate the rear wheel spoke sizes somewhere early in the 850 series

As did Triumph with the first rear disc 1976 T140 models.

So which is heaviest/torquiest/has the stronger brakes/has the heaviest passengers/luggage ?

ohno

And where is that discussion about why 3-1 may be stronger ??

You would need to take that up with Warren, and the crew at Central Wheel. God nows I have.
Those guys at Central Wheel do not listen to logic at all. It's their way or the highway. They could very easily keep things standard but insist on mixing it up. There just aren't experienced wheel builders on every corner in the US.
1 member likes this
#843449 Mar 18th a 10:08 PM
by Rohan
Rohan
Originally Posted by Beach
There just aren't experienced wheel builders on every corner in the US.

We were lucky here for a while, there were 3 wheelbuilders within 5 miles of me. Now there are 2 within 10 miles.
Must be a lucrative business, there is usually a few weeks waiting time.

I took this 3-1 wheel (foreground) to get a replacement rim. For obvious reasons.
He punched and drilled the rim and bent up the spokes, and I reckon I was in and out in less than 15 minutes.
Must have been a quiet moment. Talk about lightning hands. That includes time for a walletectomy !

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Interesting wheel discussion. Apologies for wandering off Commando front wheels.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com