Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Morgan aka admin
Morgan aka admin
Sävedalen, Sweden
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 71
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
NickL 28
Newest Members
NRpolo, Ianc15, chuckhaz, Motorelic, Mrmoe
12,118 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (L.A.B., RandyCP, KevRasen, alibaba, quinten), 44 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,031
Posts769,175
Members12,118
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
NYBSAGUY, Shaun1066
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#841895 03/04/2021 9:11 PM
by Shaun1066
Shaun1066
Hi

i have allegedly a DBD34 1957 goldstar, i say this because the engine no is not correct! but it has all the identifying parts of a CB32 engine
may question is the rocker oil pipes go directly to the oil tank, am i correct in believing that the oil from these pipes is a drain and this is ok ?

any advice and or suggestion's or anyone in and around the NG16 area i can talk too

thanks

Shaun'
Liked Replies
#843661 Mar 21st a 03:41 AM
by Stuart Kirk
Stuart Kirk
Hi Shaun,

Your primary case has 3 larger 5/16-BSW case screws at the very front and 1/4-BSW case screws the rest of the way around. Look close at the screw heads and you will see the difference.

Now, the two front lower 1/4"BSW (British Standard Whitworth) primary case screws (on the earlier aluminum primaries) are used for draining and for determining proper oil level. Removing the front-most 1/4" screw allows excess oil to drain out down to the correct level.

It is common for these bikes to "wet sump", meaning that the engine slowly fills up with oil from the oil tank when left unused for a long time. That oil often ends up filling the primary case as well leading to a sticky clutch and oil leaks from behind the clutch and elsewhere.

The routine when my '53 Gold star has been sitting for a year is to drain the crankcase drain plug and the primary case level screw, top up the oil tank and then try to start the thing.

Best of luck. Let us know how it works out.

Stuart Kirk
1 member likes this
#843646 Mar 21st a 12:04 AM
by chaterlea25
chaterlea25
Hi Shaun,
I sounds like there is too much oil in the primary case, but there can be other causes too??
Down load the service sheets here.. https://www.bsa-oc.com/service-sheets/

Two types of primary case were fitted and as your bike is somewhat unknown setting the level depends on which case is fitted
the older case uses two of the retaining screws as drain and level, the later case has a combined drain and level plug
Do not use an oil designed for car engines, I use 10/30 motorcycle oil, other people use ATF type F

John
1 member likes this
#842246 Mar 8th a 04:29 AM
by Kerry W
Kerry W
Agree with Gordo - it seems the big threaded hole was still in the later engines - perhaps production was set up for that and it was cheaper to keep it that way, or perhaps the later cases were considered as potential replacements for the CN engines, if the need arose.
1 member likes this
#842196 Mar 7th a 05:33 PM
by Gordo in Comox
Gordo in Comox
Shaun: My reading of the development was the fifth long bolt was introduced in 1954 for both CB 32 and 34 engines and then back to the four short bolts in 1955 for both CB engines. That said it seems that the subsequent cases still had the hole for the fifth bolt even when not using it.

For posting photos you need to move up to the higher forum membership status or to use a hosting site for posting your photos.

Gordo
1 member likes this
#842053 Mar 6th a 02:17 AM
by Gordo in Comox
Gordo in Comox
Shaun What parts lead you to think it is a CB32 engine? On the front of the engine near where the front mounting bolts go through there should be two sets of numbers that can at least identify the specs of the engine cases and confirm the two halves are a matching pair.

Can you post photos of your bike?

Gordo
1 member likes this
#850682 Jun 4th a 06:28 PM
by Magnetoman
Magnetoman
Originally Posted by Shaun1066
i can t ride with the clip on, ... so i need to change the bars to touring
I'll leave it to someone in the UK to point you to local sources for the parts you need for this conversion. I made the same conversion of my Special Competition a couple of years ago to prepare for the future while I'm still young enough to work on the bike, since removing the clip-ons entails rebuilding the forks.

The top of the composite shows its present, still-sporty, configuration with low bars.

[Linked Image]

Having removed the clip-ons, it now will be easy to swap to ever-higher bars as I age. The bottom of the composite shows the configuration it will have when I make my final ride on the bike, to check myself in at the old folks home.
Attached Images
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com