Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleIndustrial tec supplyHepolite PistonsThe Bonneville Shop

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
North Carolina
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Allan G 66
quinten 62
DavidP 53
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 24
Allan G 18
Newest Members
Seb Clare, Trevi, gwallis, Bruce B, GuzistaM33
11,776 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (DJinCA, Hambone, Bougor, Carmackle), 26 guests, and 75 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Danam
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#841338 02/27/2021 6:00 PM
by Danam
Danam
After sealing a 1970 a65 gas tank with POR15 I made sure not to get any on the petcock hole threads but of course the next day some had dribbled out. Now it’s dry and i need a solution. I was thinking of a 3/8 tap but is this whitworth? Do they even make whitworth taps? What can I do?
Liked Replies
#841345 Feb 27th a 06:29 PM
by Mark Z
Mark Z
I had to tap the holes on a fuel tank that takes that size petcocks (to remove some epoxy primer). I got the tap from British Tools and Fasteners - it is British Pipe Thread, 1/4 X 19 tpi. (Note, it is sized by the i.d. of the pipe.)
1 member likes this
#841365 Feb 27th a 08:58 PM
by Ignoramus
Ignoramus
Originally Posted by Mark Z
I had to tap the holes on a fuel tank that takes that size petcocks (to remove some epoxy primer). I got the tap from British Tools and Fasteners - it is British Pipe Thread, 1/4 X 19 tpi. (Note, it is sized by the i.d. of the pipe.)

correct it is BSP

if i ever need a tap (which is rare cause i have lots left over from my days in the trade) im only going to use a few times . specially for just cleaning out a thread I try the second hand tool places , BSP ( here anyway) is a very common size and i can imagine it isn't that unusual in the USA ? ........they will cost $5 instead of how much new from some bike bits type supplier ?
1 member likes this
#841368 Feb 27th a 09:30 PM
by raf940
raf940
i did the caswells thing on my T120 and to clean petcock threads took a bolt the same size and cut a slot in in with dremel tool it worked great po boy solution
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com