Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Jon W. Whitley
Jon W. Whitley
Vermont
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, Kevin E
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#841063 02/25/2021 3:53 AM
by Snakepitt
Snakepitt
Does the seal only go in flush with surface of the case? Any special install procedures required?
Liked Replies
#841088 Feb 25th a 03:00 PM
by VicCyclone
VicCyclone
I was taught many years ago that the spring faces the oil you want to keep in.
1 member likes this
#841087 Feb 25th a 02:59 PM
by Thunderlizard
Thunderlizard
the lip and spring should be toward the pressurized side (crankcase) so the pressure will tend to compress the seal against the shaft. if installed the opposite way, the pressure will tend to expand the seal slightly away from the crank allowing for leakage
1 member likes this
#841109 Feb 25th a 07:17 PM
by Ignoramus
Ignoramus
Originally Posted by VicCyclone
I was taught many years ago that the spring faces the oil you want to keep in.

Totally correct ! . the lip faces the oil being retained ( in the crankcase ) , that is how "knife edge" oil seals work that is why the lip on them is on an angel ...thats what i did in 40 years in the engineering trade anyhow

best way to fit them is if you ca find a peice of tube around the right size so you can drift them in square , use plenty of grease on the od of the seal and the id of the hole it goes into
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com