Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
TR6Ray
TR6Ray
Illinois, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 87
Allan G 56
kevin 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 33
Newest Members
Jim Harris, Cuppy, budpotter, Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK
12,160 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Robert Dentico, drp, MrMarty51, HayMike), 23 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,311
Posts772,635
Members12,160
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
chainreaction, Dave M, GrandPaul
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#839708 02/11/2021 1:12 PM
by R Moulding
R Moulding
A friend of mine is currently between houses and his little 71 T100C needed a temporary home, so I had to offer space in my garage. I only have a pic from a few years ago since my camera is playing up but you get the idea.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Its pretty much all original but a little neglected. It required a WOF ( safety check ) in order to be road legal so I took it into work. I was feeling a little underwhelmed by that twin leading shoe brake when a car did a U turn in front of me. Sure enough both brakes are like squeezing jelly and not much happens in the way of stopping! Car avoided, I decided that I can't give it back to Alan in this state, especially with my name on the WOF sticker so I'm going to go through it a little while it's here.

The front wheel got removed that evening and I stripped the brake plate to its component parts. I know Alan does not want to restore the bike so all I have done is wash everything lube it up and put it back together. After setting up the brake a road test this morning shows a marked improvement on the front and it was improving as I rode. So next up I'll whip the back wheel out for a bit of the same. Then there is a few oil leaks, a brand new Pazon in the saddle bag and I have a Tympanum reg/rec here somewhere. The gear change is also like stirring a pudding bowl. I recon a bloody good all round scrub and a light cut and wax on the tank ( it is now orange ) and she should be looking quite proud of herself. After that I will give Alan a bell and face the music!
Liked Replies
#840877 Feb 23rd a 08:08 AM
by R Moulding
R Moulding
Well, that was a mission and a half!

Made the new brake rod from some 1/4 steel rod,
Then spent best part of an hour tweaking the brake arm and the pillion peg bracket until I had sufficient clearance to fit the brake rod whilst keeping it straight.
I confess that I used very little finesse, just a pair of slip joint pliers and some brute force but the result should be a properly working rear brake and that has to be worth it.
2 members like this
#843922 Mar 24th a 08:55 AM
by R Moulding
R Moulding
So, back at it. On my list of things to sort was the side stand. With the bike resting on it, it would lean over so far it was quite a struggle to pick it back up. Looking at the stand there was a little bit broken of the end so I assumed it was to short, a quick post in the Triumph forum suggested otherwise and a Google search confirmed the stand was the wrong shape. It's been heated and bent straight before being bent backwards.
I took it work and set about reshaping it and building up some of the wear, I also built up the worn stop inside the clevis so it wouldn't swing out further than it should.
Whilst it did look better, building up the stop lifted the bike, I still had far to much lean. So I took it back to work and when with a slightly more Hockey stick shape.
That got the bike on a better, more manageable angle,
If I want it to stand up anymore I will have to warm the lug and give it a tweak and I'm not sure I'm feeling brave enough at the moment. Looking at pictures on the net this seems about right, what do you Guys think?

I also had a look at the oil leaks from the top end. I've sealed up the rocker spindle and replaced all the sealing washers. I gave the rocker boxes and Intake a light sand and polish, painted the rusty head stays and cleaned all the rusty fasteners with some Solvo. Came up quite nice.

Then I finally got around to fixing the front park lamp and replacing the bulb in the speedo.
2 members like this
#840785 Feb 22nd a 08:55 AM
by R Moulding
R Moulding
I was looking over the pictures after I posted them and had to pop back out to the garage. The top of the rear brake arm has been bent in towards the wheel. Rub marks on the rod, exhaust bracket and shock show it was ridden this way for a while and then someone tried to fix it by routing the rod on the outside of the exhaust bracket and bending round and back inwards to meet the bent brake arm. I managed to tweak the brake arm straight and with the rod roughly straightened out it will now run along inside the exhaust bracket and meet the brake arm without fouling the shock. The old rod is still scrap so I'll finish up the new one tomorrow and I guess I will have to road test the bike again.
1 member likes this
#840781 Feb 22nd a 07:31 AM
by R Moulding
R Moulding
I dug around in the shed and found the reg,rec that came on my T120R, there was nothing wrong with it except it looked a little ugly!
Pulled out the battery tray and riveted it to the underside.
I had to make a couple of corresponding holes in the rubber mat but it fitted up nice. I then mounted the Pazon box to the back side of the tray using the cable tie mount in the kit. I dug out a couple of old and neglected 6 volt PVL coils and finished up the installation. The timing was confirmed with a strobe this afternoon at work.

The rear brake has come up good but still feels like jelly if used in anger. Looking over the bike some more and I found the brake rod has been bent in such a way that when applying the brake hard it turns into a spring as it try to straighten out. I'm part way through making a replacement.
Sun was shining so I snapped some pics now I've got it cleaned up.

Next up I need to look into some oil leaks, check the valve clearances and tickle up the carb. It's sooting up the plugs pretty good
1 member likes this
#841073 Feb 25th a 07:58 AM
by R Moulding
R Moulding
Woke up to a grumpy Wife yesterday. It seems since the T100 has turned up the house and in particular the garage has started to smell and it's giving the good Lady a head ache. Sure enough Alan's carbytooter has been slowly evacuating itself, I'm somewhat immune to the smell of fuel so a little grovelling was required. So anyway all other jobs were put on hold tonight whilst I treated the carb to a gasket and seal kit.

If nothing else it is keeping me occupied.
1 member likes this
#845064 Apr 4th a 04:07 AM
by R Moulding
R Moulding
Thanks Chaps. I would like to reduce the lean a little more but to do so would mean either welding a raised foot to the stand ( looks ugly ) or tweaking the lug. Looking at the lug some more I no longer think it has been repaired, If I heat the lug and bend it enough to make a worthwhile difference it looks like the clevis of the stand will foul the little lug for the return spring. Time to call this part of the project done and move on I think.

I want to pull the primary cover next and seal it up, it's dribbling like a cheap Whore at the moment. Then pull the gearbox outer cover and look into the floppy gear linkage. I have to lift my foot off the peg in order to change up.
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com