Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Chip H, Gary E, gavin eisler, Ken Rowark
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#838975 02/03/2021 9:21 PM
by Kevin E
Kevin E
Hi all.

I’m thinking of putting the western style handlebars on my 1966 A65 Lightning.

I’ve only ever ridden it with the standard UK bars and because I’m getting on a bit now I’m wanting a more comfortable riding position.

What are your feelings on the difference between the two, assuming you’ve tried them both.

Am I right in thinking they’d make for a more comfortable ride?

Cheers,

Kev E
Liked Replies
#839380 Feb 8th a 12:53 PM
by Irish Swede
Irish Swede
What we old guys need is "ape hanger" bars;

1. We won't have to bend over to reach 'em

2. We can strap a piece of clear plastic to 'em as a windscreen,

3. The wind resistance against the plastic will slow us down to "safe" speeds.

4. The breeze around the 'screen will ventilate our armpits (deodorant no longer needed).
1 member likes this
#839280 Feb 7th a 04:56 AM
by Mark Z
Mark Z
Originally Posted by Gary E
Originally Posted by Mark Z
...Regarding length, someone here, I think it was Bonzo, said to get the right length, do a pushup, and measure the distance between your hands on the floor.

Gee, I need 18" bars.

I know, I don't think I followed that advice myself.
1 member likes this
#839023 Feb 4th a 01:01 PM
by Phil in Germany
Phil in Germany
I like the Western bar being 6'3" in imperial money... The point in regards to catching the wind is valid for sure.

Essentially my own A65s seldomly see motorway use. And I find the highbars suiting the rather awkwardly forward mounted foot rests quite well.

Cheers!

Phil
1 member likes this
#839095 Feb 4th a 11:36 PM
by Irish Swede
Irish Swede
Handlebars are like women

No TWO feel the same to everybody.
1 member likes this
#839101 Feb 5th a 01:27 AM
by Mark Z
Mark Z
I went for a compromise on my A65 bitsa - I used bars for late '60s Triumph twins (U.S.-type). Rise is five inches vs. eight for the stock U.S. BSA bars. They came 32 inches tip-to-tip; I cut an inch and a half off either end to make them 29 inches. I find these bars comfortable, and with adequate leverage.

Prior to that, I had the BSA "home market" (low) bars. With those, I was getting a stiff neck on the 15-mile trip to work on the interstate, from holding my head up. Also, I found it impossible to maneuver on rough terrain with the low bars.

Regarding length, someone here, I think it was Bonzo, said to get the right length, do a pushup, and measure the distance between your hands on the floor.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com