Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
10% Off Girling at The Bonneville Shop 2/3-2/9/23
by The Bonneville Shop - 02/03/23 6:14 pm
New FAQ post
News & Announcements
Premium members! ๐ŸŒŸ
by Morgan aka admin - 02/04/23 2:40 pm
Benefactor โœ…
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Fisherman
Fisherman
Tennessee
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 84
DavidP 83
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 34
DavidP 27
Newest Members
Uneasy Rider, Mally, Daveed, 70Triumph, Knight57Corv
12,392 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,551
Posts784,409
Members12,392
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Thread Like Summary
Hillbilly bike, TRFVern
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#836685 01/14/2021 1:24 PM
by TRFVern
TRFVern
Hello, is anybody able to help please?
I have a pre unit T100 engine, aluminium cylinder, 1956 I think. Larger bearing in timing side case. The original crank is broken but I have what appears to be a serviceable 650 three piece crank and con rods (white metal cap type) 1.125" main shafts stamped 6T on the web. I have read that I can use this 82mm stroke crank in the 500 motor and it looks like it will fit OK but can anybody let me know the problems doing this? I'm assuming I will need to make a 1mm plate between the cylinder and crankcase. Is there a problem with the tappets sitting 1mm lower in the tappet block? Do I need to lengthen the push rods to restore rocker position. Is it necessary to change the crank balance? I will only be using the bike for gentle runs and would like to return it to serviceable condition looking as it was when I last rode it 40+ years ago! If this modification looks reasonable I will split the crank to clean any sludge before assembly. Can anyone point me to what is necessary to realign the crank once cleaned.
Many thanks for any help.
Liked Replies
#837023 Jan 17th a 11:45 AM
by Stein Roger
Stein Roger
On many p/u timing covers there isn't material enough for a circlip retainer groove. Some still try to fit oil seals and just let them sit there without, which pushes them toward the crank nut. How well it seals then is anybody's guess. I have converted a few back to a bronze bushing, made in a top hat shape to fill the oil-seal space. In my view a good fitting bushing is adequate for the purpose, and it should be remembered that it served Triumphs well for 25 years.
My opinion only, and entirely up to you of course, but it would be very low on my list of priorities.

SR
2 members like this
#836718 Jan 14th a 07:12 PM
by Stein Roger
Stein Roger
I can't think of any real problems with this. Don't worry about the push rods, or the followers sitting 1 mm lower in the block. The balance factor will be changed due to the lighter pistons, how much can be calculated, but in any case it will be higher than the 50% quoted for the 650. It might vibrate more at lower rpm and less at higher, but these things are trial and error territory, and I wouldn't hesitate to try. And I'd expect great results too.
The crank pieces are located by precision ground bolts (all these are) into two reamed holes in the cranks and flywheel. Triumph machines these to high standards and close tolerances, and any crank I've cleaned out clocked perfectly after re-assembly.
Just be gentle and meticulous and don't over-torque the high tension 1/4" bolts. If there's a torque number somewhere, I've forgotten it, but somewhere around 10 to 14 Nm or 8 to 10 lbft maybe?

SR
1 member likes this
#836806 Jan 15th a 10:31 AM
by TinkererToo
TinkererToo
The Triumph workshop manual is of the "sufficient" variety on torque, and you may have difficulty getting a socket/torque wrench on anyway. 10 ftlb would be about right. Have a very close look at the white metal bearings and crankpins, preferably use some engineers blue to make sure they touch evenly. This was often bodged back in the day, as repairs were supposed to be "back to the factory", which most people could not afford, even if they had the time for their ride to work machine. If in doubt, use later shell type rods, they are easy enough to come by (I have at least 8 sets, and that, the later '69 on ones))
1 member likes this
#836864 Jan 15th a 09:13 PM
by Stein Roger
Stein Roger
Originally Posted by TRFVern
. I'll check the run out on V blocks rather than try and reclaim the centres.

It's what I do, on a simple V-block fixture made from wood. I use ball bearings that I've honed out for easy fit and removal.
Add a dial gauge and turn a couple of rings to run it on to avoid the keyways. Simple as it is, you're able to instantly recognize if the crank is straight or bent.

SR
1 member likes this
#836866 Jan 15th a 09:38 PM
by Hillbilly bike
Hillbilly bike
Do a mock up first......Put the crank into the cases, bolt them together, and spin it....
1 member likes this
#836909 Jan 16th a 09:02 AM
by Stein Roger
Stein Roger
As simple as it is, it works. A bent shaft will immediately show up, even just eyeballing it.

SR
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#836914 Jan 16th a 10:35 AM
by TinkererToo
TinkererToo
If the timing side oil feed nose has been biffed about, I'd strongly recommend getting the timing cover modified for the later unit type oil seal, and have the "nose" machined true. The bronze bush feed was never great. Seager Engineering and others can do the mod.
1 member likes this
#836924 Jan 16th a 12:38 PM
by kommando
kommando
For recovery of dodgy noses

https://www.skf.com/uk/products/ind...ion-seals/wear-sleeves/skf-speedi-sleeve
1 member likes this
#836926 Jan 16th a 12:51 PM
by TinkererToo
TinkererToo
I hear what you say, I've used speedi-sleeves myself when the nose won't clean up at 0.020" down, but ALL my engines get the oil seal coversion!
1 member likes this
#837025 Jan 17th a 12:10 PM
by TinkererToo
TinkererToo
Seager weld up the boss if it is thin as part of the service. Like all things, a job has got to be done properly, be it replacing the bush or fitting the seal!
1 member likes this
#837091 Jan 17th a 07:12 PM
by triton thrasher
triton thrasher
The bush is more reliable than a seal, but has to be an accurate fit on the crank nose, so renewal isnโ€™t so simple.
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

ยฉ 1996-2023 britbike.com