Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleIndustrial tec supplyHepolite PistonsThe Bonneville Shop

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
North Carolina
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Allan G 66
quinten 62
DavidP 53
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 24
Allan G 18
Newest Members
Seb Clare, Trevi, gwallis, Bruce B, GuzistaM33
11,776 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (Paul C., Hambone, gavin eisler, Tridentman, britcyclenut, desco), 33 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Aboatguy, Allan G, BeezaBryan, GrandPaul, Ignoramus, kevin, Nick H
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Ignoramus
Ignoramus
the scene :

.4.30 am new years day morning, climatic conditions: dry and zero wind no ambient noise at all , graveyard quiet

My M20 only has one of those car "hot dog " expansion chambers and thus is not very stealthy...it could in fact wake the dead, I have told some of the guys at the club in looking for an original muffler , but they have rebuked me and told me the old dunga sounds great leave it ...whats a man to do.

I had woken up unreasonably early and was lying there annoyed that i was not sleeping the sleep of the just and i suddenly thought DANG and DAG NAB IT I think I will activate my M20 (it summer here BTW) The bike is road legal

on a still clear morning it sure did resonate , I hope it blessed my neighbors as much as their screaming brats and barking dogs bless me , Wouldn't you know it I have a long steep drive way with rock wall on either side so naturally it need full noise to make it to the top. (their bedroom is probably 10 meters away from my drive way) and they had been yelling and screaming until 2.30 am , i hope i dint disturb their alcohol fueled slumber

I thundered about the neighborhood for a bit then around the sea front .....Man you forget what those early morning rides are like with ZERO traffic , but man were there ever a lot of cop cars!

SO am I an inconsiderate IGNORAMUS?

Why did I do it , because i can !

Fact is all i did was take out a road legal vehicle.

COMMENTS chides and rebukes most welcome hahah ....Happy BSA new year all !
Liked Replies
by Jon W. Whitley
Jon W. Whitley
Originally Posted by Allan G
I removed my post since it did get moved (not sure by whom but that doesn’t matter

T'was I, since it seemed to be the popularly favored destination according to the posts.
1 member likes this
by Cyborg
Cyborg
1 member likes this
by wadeschields
wadeschields
An innocent and probably embellished story has turned into a kinda crazy conversation.... I'll bet your bike sounds great and if others agree , as they seem too, then be proud of it and let it shine....

Some of my bikes are medium loud and at least one or two are open pipe ... Im not changing any of them no matter what anyone else says or thinks of me.
1 member likes this
by Dibnah
Dibnah
Most non-motorcyclists regard a noisy bike as a noisy bike, doesn't matter if it's a Harley or something interesting.

For me, all in-line fours should be fully silenced, with the exception of some Ford/Lotus/Fiat engines on 2x Webers/Dell'Ortos.
1 member likes this
by tridentt150v
tridentt150v
1 member likes this
by Ignoramus
Ignoramus
Trevor ..........councils here dont do a dam thing other than check if the barking dog is registered so they can get money !

Had one inconsiderate **tch who lived in a state house , where the rules are NO DOGS! .....the council , housing, authorities, SPCA noise control etc did nothing about her HUNTAWAY ....large energetic working dog .....that she kept chained up outside 24/7 naturally it went round the bend and barked at nothing incessantly

Best strategy i did find was get the owners landline number , have it on speed dial and every time their barking mongrel woke me i woke them ...of course i introduced myself as anonymous phone calls at 3am are cowardly

" your **cken dog wakes me ..i wake you i politely explained"

eventually they got the message after a Pacific Island fellow strode onto their place and thrashed the dog and offered them the same , a very generous offer i thought!
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com